More fantasy from the Hotel des Impots

JoeRocket

Post by JoeRocket » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 pm

I've seen plenty of that, the biggest hurdle seems to be that you actually live here and not just want to bother said 'foncionnaire' with your petty needs.

My son is a fonctionnaire in teaching here having gone through the full education system himself but continually criticises the situation he's in. Must be his dad's influence........ icon_whistle :D

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Richard, for a nanosecond I thought you'd gone troppo there and rung DREAL for real! Then the heart attack caused a blackout, and now I'm in intensive care, tapping this with one toe on a kind nurse's telephone....

I discussed the incident just this evening with my buddy who works at the Prefecture, and a friend of his who is Police Nationale, both were shocked, then disgusted, and said I should definitely write to the Head of the department.

They said "These people are supposed to be representing the State...."

I'd said I intended to...sole problem being I don't actually have the name of the two people involved.

I can give a good though unflattering description though. :twisted:

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 pm

After our baptism of fire 8 years ago when trying to french-register a 2 year old Honda Civic at our local sous-prefecture, when I was told by an equally unpleasant hag that it needed a CT and no she wouldn't accept the paperwork, we now always go loaded for bear with relevant copies of the rules and instructions and lists of what paperwork must be produced from their own websites - they cannot ignore that!
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Ventodue
France

Post by Ventodue » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 am

Well done Hal.

What always surprises me is just WHY some petty fonctionnaire comes up with such rubbish ...

That said, I've not had any problems, touch wood. Even with the much-decried RSI who, despite making errors all over the place, have always been courteous and willing to put things right.

Maybe everyone is just that much cooler down here in the Midi :)

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 am

I suspect simple racism is the answer in this case.

Combined with the unfortunate fact of this sort of minor function post being normally a job for life, it's easy to see how one person might infect co-workers with their unhealthy 'ideas'.

I do wonder if people like the hag are actually products of ENA as Papasmurf suggested?

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:32 am

Hal wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 am

I do wonder if people like the hag are actually products of ENA as Papasmurf suggested?

The ENA has only had 10000 graduates since 1945. They usually end up as high level civil servants. Some of whom draught laws. (Only three since 1945 have ended up as French presidents.)

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:42 am

The minor / mid level Foncs don't come from the ENA: ENA is where the fast-trackers to senior positions go.

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 am

Hal wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm

I can give a good though unflattering description though. :twisted:
Yeah I bet ;) It's a shame that it does leave you to suspect that a bit of racism is where this stems from. We've not come across any problems with the prefecture here in 36 when registering bikes and cars however, I admit I've never tried to register an exocet powered roller skate like yours.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Strangely, the final part of registering the Caterham was very smooth.

The only person who caused trouble was the idiot I saw at DREAL in January, and I didn't have to deal with him again....

We weren't anticipating any difficulty yesterday, it was a total surprise! The woman has been a nasty, humourless bitch since I've had dealings with her, must be 10 or 15 years, never seen a smile crack her mug, and she's tried to fob me off before, and clearly takes great pleasure in being able to say "No!" if you don't have all the correct documents...

I recall asking her why they bother with the quitus fiscale as all it does is tell the prefecture dept des cartes grises something that they can see by looking at the V5 document....ie that the car is not subject to TVA as it's date of manufacture shows it as being over 6 months old, and the MoT doc shows it's done over 5000km...

So the quitus is a total nonsense however you look at it. She repeated robotically "It's to show there's no TVA to pay....."

These are the people who Douglas Adams fires off in a separate ark....

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I've often wondered about the quittus fiscale, a very strange and totally unneccesary requirement.

But then at the first line of defence at our prefecture carte grise dept, the silly old bag at the reception who checks your pile of paperwork before you get to wait for a hour or so to go to the desk, told us that we could not possibly register the car as we hadn't included the purchase invoice.
So we wearily explained "We've already been to the Hotel des Impots, they've seen the invoice and issued the quittus, which is here (points to it) We don't need the invoice to register the car according to your website (fumbles for copy of their own website's instructions)
Big hissy fit and fluster - pushes our papers back acoss the desk and says "you can go through but you won't be able to register it"
An hour later it was registered. (Do they ever read their own website?)

Is there some sort of training establishment somewhere that turns out minor french foncs, UK doctor's receptionists and UK post office counter clerks? Because they all seem to have the same attitude problem.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.