Driverless lorries

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Driverless lorries

Post by wizzard » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 am

I've been reading recently about these driverless lorries, and I assume they use GPS to find their way. The other day I was driving my car with inbuilt GPS, on a long established road (not a new one which hadnt been on a GPS update), when the cursor got totally lost on the GPS. What would happen if that were to happen on one of these lorries? Would it stop dead - not good for anything behind - blocking the lane/road its on? Or would it veer of the road into a field/house/etc looking for the road in the same way the curser does? Either way it sounds distincly dangerous. Any experts out there got any ideas?

Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

ChrisD
France

Driverless lorries

Post by ChrisD » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I think the driverless lorry scheme involves one lorry with a driver who has control of a few more travelling in convoy behind him.
UTC

Cornishman
France

Driverless lorries

Post by Cornishman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:37 pm

A bit like a train then, only less efficient.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Stella
France

Driverless lorries

Post by Stella » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:37 pm
A bit like a train then, only less efficient.
I knew there was a name for it! Train? Yeah that's it icon_thanks
Mountains are for riding up and skiing down!

Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

Driverless lorries

Post by Dieselspanner » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Given some of the numpties behind the wheel of the HGV's these days, one bloke with half a brain trailing a fleet of robot trucks seems like a good deal to me..............

Cheers Stef

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Driverless lorries

Post by wizzard » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:48 pm

And they would be virtually impossible to overtake ....................
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Cornishman
France

Driverless lorries

Post by Cornishman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:56 pm

It's already like that on the N10 between Poitiers and Bordeaux. The HGVs are limited to 80kmh and are (supposedly) not allowed to overtake. This can result in a nose to tail train of lorries several kilometres long. Overtaking on the dual carriageway is usually fine but cutting in between them to leave the road can be very difficult. I heard UK truckers on BBC Radio 4 a few weeks ago who were saying that they would drive like that to inconvenience car drivers if planned no HGV overtaking sections are created in the M6.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamstealer
France

Driverless lorries

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:13 pm

We did lots of research on robotics; this was one of our topics of research for military convoys; driven vehicle at the front; following vehicles " slaved" to the leader by an " electronic towbar". The military idea was yo hsvevthecdriver in a heavily armoured vehicle; the unmanned dkzve vehicles could be less armoured.
The systems rely on both GPS; and on electronic " following" of the vehicle in front, by linked sensors. Individual vehicles also rely on individual Artificial intelligence in cases where they have an event which has changed since the lead vehicle has passed.

Trying to get vehicles to follow the exact path of the vehicle ahead is frought with difficulties: loss of the " GPS breadcrumb trail," errors compounded by each vehicle, etc.
For "simple" motorway style driving, it's entirely feasible; not so on other roads. So I can see the system allowing these roadtrains activated on motorways; but deactivated for other roads. There is no intention, anyway, at this point, of doing this on anything but appropriate motorway type routes. There are plenty of failsafes if the system fails on a motorway; either. Slowing and stopping safely, or alerting the human driver to take over.
It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

FrancisBarnett
France

Driverless lorries

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 pm

It'll be fine - all it needs is a man walking in front with a red flag,
Oh wait..... :roll:
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Hal
Ireland

Driverless lorries

Post by Hal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 am

I don't think anyone has suggested 'driverless' lorries anyway.

The idea was as outlined by Jammy, BUT with a driver in every lorry just in case, like an airliner on autopilot still has two crew in the cockpit.

He can be polishing his nails, watching TV, making tea, sleeping, but he's still there in the cab.