New - Old member

usil
United States of America

New - Old member

Post by usil » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 pm

This is a voice from the past. I joined the group back in 2009 (I think) when I was just preparing to retire from Nestle (I used the site name of Usil). I see that the site has been renewed from the Facebook page that I found last year. I must have made some posts on this new site in the past but it was sporadic and my memory fails me. Getting old sucks. Anyway, on the original site I had a thousand posts or so, again, can't remember and no longer matters. I was cleaning up my computer which I do at the end of each year and decided to re-acquaint myself to the group so for the benefit of the new members these past few years...

I live in Ft. Worth, Texas and I found this group back in 2009. I was preparing to retire from Nestle and as I had lived in Paris for 4 years I had fallen in love with France. I wanted to retire there but my wife was done and wanted to go home to the kids. I said fine, but I will be coming back every summer for an extended visit. She agreed and that settled that.

i have had a bike ever since I was 15 years old. I bought a Honda Shadow bike when I was living in France and it served me well. It was the perfect transportation getting around and parking in Paris and my wife and I did some nice trips on the weekends. It was then that I decided that I was definitely coming back to France. This summer is my 8th year doing that.

See below...

The first year I came over I spent 6 months. I did this for several reasons. A long story short, I got a Visa for the trip (required if you spend more than 180 days) and that provided me residency in France and this, along with several other items, allowed me to purchase, licence and insure a French 2006 Honda NT700 when I arrived in May of 2007. So, I am a US citizen that legally owns a French bike.

See below...

If you want to see my blog for the entire 6 month period while I traveled around France you can view my blog I created for family and friends.

http://michael-paris.blogspot.com/

I returned to a Paris apartment the following year but as my British friends were in Normandie after that I would rent a gite in the Normandie countryside. I have done that ever year since and it has been wonderful. I spent June and July in France this summer but to be truthful, I am finding that I have less of a desire to take the long trips anymore and mostly just putter around the Normandie regions. Basically, when I am in France I become a kid again with no parental supervision.

That's about all for now. I will start spending some time back on this site and wish all well.

Mike (Usil) I will just use Mike from now on.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
DSCF4285a1.jpg
Last edited by usil on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamstealer
France

New - Old member

Post by Jamstealer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 pm

I rather liked Usil; made me think of Usul

https://youtu.be/RT5SEu8JssY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisD
France

New - Old member

Post by ChrisD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Welcome back Mike. Unfortunately because Photobucket has started charging for some of their services your pics will no longer be viewable by third parties, ie. us. A lot of us now use other ways to display pics rather than pay a subscription charge to PB.
UTC

usil
United States of America

New - Old member

Post by usil » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Usil - Yes, that is where I got my nick name. Most thought the movie was tripe but I read the book when I was a youngster and loved the story.

Photo-bucket - I had no idea that only I could see the pictures. What is the best way to have them loaded and displayed?

Mike (Usil)

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

New - Old member

Post by Dragon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 am

Welcome back Usil, i didnt realize that photo bucket did charge. but then again i never used them, i just take photos from my folders on my computer, but good to have you back in the fold Boyo, icon_thumbup
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

ChrisD
France

New - Old member

Post by ChrisD » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 am

A few suggestions were put in this thread about Photobucket.

Photobucket Topic Link

If you have a Google account you can use Google Photos and share links just like PB.
UTC

Jamstealer
France

New - Old member

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:40 am

usil wrote:Usil - Yes, that is where I got my nick name. Most thought the movie was tripe but I read the book when I was a youngster and loved the story.

The original Frank Herbert series are brilliant. I find the later series written by Brian Herbert /Anderson a bit patchy ( but mostly still good.)

I am one of those who thinks the David Lynch film was good. Probably because what I saw in the film was largely how I had imagined the scenes and characters to be when I read the books.

Mike (Usil)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richard36
France

New - Old member

Post by richard36 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 am

Welcome back Mike, nice re-intro! I hope all is calm over there and you don't suffer with the incoming storm. Look forward to reading your posts :)

usil
United States of America

New - Old member

Post by usil » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Well, i gave up on photobucket. I just attached the photos from my desktop to the first post. They appear at the bottom. Is there any way to get them to appear within the post itself?

Ventodue
France

New - Old member

Post by Ventodue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 am

usil wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm
Is there any way to get them to appear within the post itself?
Yes. After the photo has uploaded, hit the 'Place inline' dialogue box. The photo will then go where you last left the cursor (you can always change it if it's not in the right place).

P.s And welcome back!