France on holiday

richard36
France

France on holiday

Post by richard36 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm

wizzard wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:19 pm
I'd rather live with these minor issues that contemplate the alternative - living in the UK!
You soon get used to the little quirks and find multitudes more pluses than negatives! I think we should all be a bit more negative though otherwise everyone in the UK that wanted to stay within the EU will want to move here.
I'll mention the Porcaro meet to my friend that's over that week on his bike trip Joe Rocket, and of course that he should bring his own spares.

Jamstealer
France

France on holiday

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Seems more organised here; of the the 3 tabac/presse ; one never closes; the owners let the staff run it during holidays, the 3 Boulanger/ pâtisseries, the 3 butchers and the grocers shops all take it in turns to close. Two of the bar/cafe/bistros close in turn, the rest stay open. The plumber /electrician and hardware shuts; but his mate the in the neighbouring village will come out to do emergency repairs when he is away.

But I just can't get the slightest bit fussed about this summer holiday thing.
I am also a big fan of the lunch break. All my french artisans took their 2 hours, but then they didn't take fag/coffee breaks during the day. Turn up at 8, work till midday, disappear till 2, work till 6.
I like the quiet time during the day.
In UK I stopped our people from working through lunch; ( law says they are supposed to take a break anyway). I found their output, quality and efficiency increased hugely when a lunch break was " enforced".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

France on holiday

Post by wizzard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:36 pm

In UK I stopped our people from working through lunch; ( law says they are supposed to take a break anyway). I found their output, quality and efficiency increased hugely when a lunch break was " enforced".

My time in financial services/banking was very mixed re lunches. One company insisted that you had at least 3 business lunches a week (I put on a fair bit of weight there!), but others used the phrase "lunch is for wimps" (except for the bosses), and expected you work flat out 12 hours per day. After I moved to the bank's head office I insisted on taking at least an hour for lunch, getting out of the office for a walk.

Worse though - my ex partner works as senior admin in a NHS Trust. They moved the staff car park a long distance away, and cut the lunch break to 40 minutes, meaning she could only walk back to the car, sit in it , and have her sandwich. Most people didnt bother as it was a 10/15 minute walk to their car, and sat and ate their sandwiches in the offices - not exactly a sterile environment. There wasnt even time to go to the staff canteen due to the long queues.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

France on holiday

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm

There is masses of scientific research into work patterns; and it's pretty conclusive that to be effective, you need a minimum of one hour "off" at midday. That means totally switching off. Whether you are doing physical work, using machinery, or doing desk work.
We researched loads of papers, and did our own research into this as part of a study for MOD, looking at the most effective patterns for work/rest, especially under stress conditions.
Working through lunch break massively reduces ability to do error free calculations, ability to make decisions, ability to problem solve, and increases stress. Can be as much as 25-50% reduction.
It's actually one of the reasons cited for UK's poor productivity; longer hours, fewer breaks. Per man hour/ lab-week, countries like France which retain the long lunch hour are far more productive. And there is also less conflict and more job satisfaction . And anecdotally, in a "problem solving/analysis" office, it was easy to see that those who took longer lunches, and who got up and walked off for a coffee, or a fag, or just a walk or a social chat for 10 minutes every so often, got through more work, and were more creative than those who adopted the " lunch is for wimps" philosophy.
For myself, as the department leader, I had offices and labs all over our site, so I got my "breaks" by making sure that I spent a lot of time doing "MBWA" - Management by walking about- visiting each group or team for a few minutes everyday.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

France on holiday

Post by wizzard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Its odd how management of different organisations can have the opposite management regime, this being my own experiences:

Royal Bank - very adult and grown up how they treated their staff. If I had a 9.00 am meeting in London I flew down from Edinburgh the night before, stayed in a hotel and was fresh and ready for the meeting. Staff encouraged to take a break from the computer if they felt the need. Company car and credit card use was monitored but not overly strictly - common sense applied.

LloydsTSB - treated their staff like some chattels from the Victorian era. If I had a 9.00 am meeting in London I had to leave the house at 4.00am, arrive frazzled, at end up back at home late at night, ready (NOT) to get the 6.20 am train to arrive at an 8 am meeting which some t***er in management had arranged to wind us all up. Then the manager who had organised it would wander in at 8.30 or later. If staff were suffering from staring at a computer all day and they dared to get up and stare out the window to refocus their eyes, a member of management staff would be up like a shot telling them to get back to work. A clear breach of health and safety. One very competent member of staff got overlooked for promotion many times because she had a tattoo on her back, and her senior manager didnt like tattoos. I lasted 5 whole years there before telling them to stick it where the sun dont shine, and coming out my house in France.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

JoeRocket

France on holiday

Post by JoeRocket » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Didn't want to wander back to the UK with this, I'm not at all concerned with happenings there either. :lol:

Jamstealer
France

France on holiday

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 pm

No: but threads develop; it just became a discussion about good and bad working practices. Breaks etc; which is relevant ?

FrancisBarnett
France

France on holiday

Post by FrancisBarnett » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 am
richard36 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

The lady that used to own the bar/resto in the village always used to take August off and shut the restaurant because: "I don't like Parisiens, they are too demanding".

If any Parisians come into the bar I use in Brittany all the local customers only speak Breton.
Just like when an englishman walks into a pub in Pwllheli the locals suddenly all remember they can speak welsh.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

JoeRocket

France on holiday

Post by JoeRocket » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 pm
No: but threads develop; it just became a discussion about good and bad working practices. Breaks etc; which is relevant ?

Agreed and no problem, but it was about holiday habits here and not lunch in banks or break times in the UK. :)

BOT anyone?

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

France on holiday

Post by Dragon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 pm

FrancisBarnett wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm
papasmurf wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 am
richard36 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

The lady that used to own the bar/resto in the village always used to take August off and shut the restaurant because: "I don't like Parisiens, they are too demanding".

If any Parisians come into the bar I use in Brittany all the local customers only speak Breton.
Just like when an englishman walks into a pub in Pwllheli the locals suddenly all remember they can speak welsh.
ydych yn golygu nad ydych yn siarad Cymraeg :-)
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,