France on holiday

JoeRocket

France on holiday

Post by JoeRocket » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Is it just me or do you feel that France is too set in it's holiday habits and not open to change it's rigid mind set?

The biggest worry for me was to work for two companies here who had strict holiday times because the building industry closes for, effectively, two whole months. The ripples resound into most areas of activity, local government, solicitors etc. because they have to take their holidays in such a short period and because everyone else is doing so too! I had to take my holidays, 4 weeks in summer and 1 week at Christmas with no lee-way for other needs other than hours banked to suit the work load when the boss demanded it.

The motorways are blocked by holiday traffic for several consecutive Saturdays because bookings in July and August are strictly weekend to weekend. Most (not all) holiday attractions are open only for two months give or take a week or two each side.

France runs on a fixed calendar every year, no flexibility for out of season tourism or hoildays.

I just hate it when the French TV news reports a poor turnout because of an unfavourable month of weather which doesn't suit Summer tourism.

Still, I doubt much will change......... :roll:

Off my soap box now.

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

France on holiday

Post by 2cvandy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 am

I find it faintly amusing tbh,
but then I'm retired so it doesn't really affect me,
and I quite like my little corner of France in the 10 months when there's no bugger else here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I do find it bizarre that bar / cafe / shop owners in a holiday hotspot will also close and take their own holidays in the middle of the most lucrative period of the year,
and I quite often think the French have odd ways of doing things,
but that's because I'm a foreigner, it's not really odd, just different.

My neighbour was getting all worked up one day because the local supermarket was planning to open on Sunday mornings for a trial period, she was really angry about it and she said "I bet English supermarkets don't open on Sundays". When I told her they're open 24 hrs it took her a while to grasp the concept, she thought she'd misunderstood me. She thought that was really bizarre, but quite honestly, so do I.

We've adopted a gallic attitude to all the stuff we don't understand, just a shrug of the shoulders and "TIF",,,,,,,, (This Is France)

icon_yo
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

Jamstealer
France

France on holiday

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 am

I quite like the idea; you know when it will happen; you know that ordering stuff during that period is going to take longer; or certain things won't be available so just take account of it.
I don't "do" big events, so I am not fussed about them being crowded; anyway I am not in a touristy area, so it doesn't affect me much.
The other advantage is that the things I am interested in ( Art, theatre music) goes on all the year, so those are not overcrowded the rest of the time, and are quality and good value.

I really like the fact that supermarkets and so on are not open 24/7. When I lived in Germany, all shops (including supermarkets) slammed shut at 1pm on Saturday and that was it until Monday morning. I don't know if that is still the case everywhere now.
On the other hand, it's great that things like Xmas here are just another day, ( or " Sunday hours")so we can go to our local cafe as usual, have a coffee etc.

I don't find the continental way if doing things strange; but then I guess I have continental "DNA" and have lived all over the place.

For people who have only ever lived in UK, I guess it takes time to understand continental thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

France on holiday

Post by wizzard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 am

I'm fine with the summer holiday thing except when its a dire emergency like a dentist visit. I was there last week, and would really like the work finished asap, but she had to give me an appointment end of August.
I know a mail order company doing bike parts - they are shut in August, but say dont order anything late July as it will not get sent until September, and dont order anything early September as it will get caught up in the backlog.
My french mate has a business. Having recently lost his only member of staff who he isnt going to replace, he complains of working through the evening, sleeping in the office, and getting up early to start again. BUT, he has a rigid two and a half hours for lunch every day!
As for 24 hour opening in the UK - its crazy. Why would anyone want to go to Asda in the middle of the night? Mind you, my mate runs a bar locally. Sure as hell, every night, someone will come in and ask to buy a bottle of whisky/vodka, not long after the supermarket has closed. They have to pay a lot more than they would at the supermarket, so why not be a bit more organised.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

papasmurf
Great Britain

France on holiday

Post by papasmurf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:05 am

24 hour shop opening in Britain looks as if it is slowly dying out. There is no 24 hour shopping at all where I live and hasn't been for some time.
Recent news item.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mark ... hours.html

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

France on holiday

Post by wizzard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 am

papasmurf wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:05 am
24 hour shop opening in Britain looks as if it is slowly dying out. There is no 24 hour shopping at all where I live and hasn't been for some time.
Recent news item.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mark ... hours.html
Good - common sense prevails.

richard36
France

France on holiday

Post by richard36 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

I don't think it's just you Joe Rocket, I do feel sorry for people who have to live with the rigid holiday system and are forced to contend with traffic jams and other associated problems due to everyone being on holiday at the same time. Personally I detest queueing for no good reason.

I quite like my little corner of France in the 10 months when there's no bugger else here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
As Andy says it doesn't affect me greatly because either I too am retired, it gets busier and noisier here when the second home owners are en vacance but apart from that it doesn't affect me.
The lady that used to own the bar/resto in the village always used to take August off and shut the restaurant because: "I don't like Parisiens, they are too demanding".
I'm going to travel West and have a break later in the year when the coast is clear if you see what I mean.....

papasmurf
Great Britain

France on holiday

Post by papasmurf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 am

richard36 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

The lady that used to own the bar/resto in the village always used to take August off and shut the restaurant because: "I don't like Parisiens, they are too demanding".

If any Parisians come into the bar I use in Brittany all the local customers only speak Breton.

JoeRocket

France on holiday

Post by JoeRocket » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Another oddity is the habit around here of shops closing for their holidays too! There are two months in the year to make the most profit when the population roaming the streets is multiplied a hundred fold but some close for a fortnight in July and August in nearby La Gacilly.

Even more surprising are three motorcycle shops in Redon who close for one week's holiday in August, always around the same date the 15th. Why am I making the point? Well it happens to be the same week 15000+ bikers meet at Porcaro for La Madone de Motards just 30 kms away. :roll:

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

France on holiday

Post by wizzard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:19 pm

There is never any logic to it. A restaurant in Limoges was expensively refurbed and opened at the end of June with ads in the paper etc - lots of publicity. We went to try it out at the end of July, but a sign on the door said they were shut for 2 weeks holiday.

The local bar / tabac sells the papers - there is an arrangement that the village baker/post office/grocer will sell the papers if the bar is shut, but they are often shut for holidays at the same time, often with no notice. Its nothing to do with the school holidays as the kids are all grown up, just a lack of planning.

However in saying all that, I'd rather live with these minor issues that contemplate the alternative - living in the UK!