Another linky thread - someone is not happy with their Linky.

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Apologies for cranking up the Linky subject again, but I noticed this on our local AI site (cue loads of moaning/pisst*king about AI etc etc)

BUT - This person's experience doesn't look good, and we have our appointment to have our linky inserted in August sometime :shock:

We had Linky imposed on our 2 properties in September of last year and immediately had problems with electronic noise interference with our internet telephone(Orange) and with LW Radio 4 reception such that we cannot use our radio and telephone communication is a real pain!We complained immediately to Enerdis who batted it away with the usual "it is your equipment",after God knows how many phone calls(have you ever tried to call them and get a real response?) and emails with the usual bland replies,and even old fashioned letters (which did get a reply as we threatened the "ombudsman"(who figures on their website and is presumably paid by EDF)-eventually a lone "technician" turned up to replace the meter-listened to the interference which persisted and then cleared off admitting that he had reached the limit of his competence! No-one available to check his work or to verify the operation-nor had he got any test equipment to work out what the problems might be-so no real use at all!Further complaint elicited no more than a repetition of the previous blaming our EC marked equipment and a gallic shrug.We are no further forward,we are captive consumers and edf/enerdis absolve themselves from all responsibility as monopoly suppliers.Now at the point of appealing to the CEO of edf.Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Unquote

Any comments from the brains trust?

Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Put tinfoil round your head, sell your microwave and mobile phone then post about a bike ride you've had. :-)
UTC

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 am

Bloody brits always whingeing about something no marmite, no chippies can't get a decent curry no one speaky eengleesh. Any case interference is a benefit as when the data from the SMART meter has been sold to to a 3rd party company and they get phone calls trying to flog them stuff they will not be able to hear the spiel. :)

Maybe someone could sell them a motorcycle and they can then forget all their worries, providing they have reflective strips on their helmets, CE gloves, yellow vest and never ever break the speed limit. 8-)

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 am

We now have frequent problems with lights flickering Francis, it's worse at present likely due to the occasional visitors across the road being here presently. I'd guess we are being polluted by their meter too. Just simply refuse to have it fitted, that's your right.
Interesting aside, I bought a new crash helmet as a surprise present for my OH yesterday from MotoBlouz. They sent the usual email to confirm it was coming and it included a reminder to correctly put the supplied reflective stickers on it.
MotoBlouz have 10% off everything and this includes stuff already reduced.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 am

nev wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 am
Bloody brits always whingeing about something
Victor Meldrew and Uncle Mort were far too cheerful.

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Change to a supplier that does not use linky?

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Jamba wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 pm
Change to a supplier that does not use linky?
That is a minefield of problems in the UK, in France I suspect trying to do it could drive you mad.

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm

I think Linky meter is an infrastructure change so changing supplier makes no difference.

There are two vectors for potential interference that I can think of the first is Broadband over power lines, BPL where the Linky meter transmits data to the sub station, due to power lines not been shielded these data transmissions can escape and interfere with devices that share the same frequencies so in laypersons term BPL can act as a glorified radio transmitter. I understand that the meters are only meant to transmit data twice a day but of course the transmitter might always be on so interference would still be present.

The second feature is that Linky can be fitted with a wireless module ERL which operates in the same frequency range as WiFi, Baby Monitors and Cordless Phones. This wireless module will be able to communicate with wireless enabled devices in the consumers house such as heating, lighting and washing machines. Due to the ERL operating on the same frequency range as other devices it will potentially cause interference the ERL is also a consumer fit item so if it is fitted and it is causing interference then taking it out would seem to be a sensible idea.

I am not sure I want my meter telling my devices when and when they cannot operate but this thread has been done to death before. I was just addressing the areas of what might be causing the interference. You could always put some lead flashing round the meter or sign up to "say no to linky" http://refus.linky.gazpar.free.fr/

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm

I wonder what effect these things have on people with pacemakers........................
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm

wizzard wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm
I wonder what effect these things have on people with pacemakers........................
I'll ask Gerry he is bound to know as he has more than one...