Which breed of dog is dangerous?

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:58 pm

We've heard that a Rottweiler is a dangerous breed and that some people are reassured that this breed, amongst others similarly defined as dangerous, are controlled by legislation here in France, this was an opinion expressed recently in another post.

Why are certain breeds classed dangerous and others not?

Shouldn't all prospective owners be liable for strict educational training and only allowed to possess a dog once they have passed a test, I mean prospective owners of any dog. The Formation de Maitre for each and every dog owner, no matter what breed or size.

The below sign was erected on the whim of a councillor, amongst the dangerous breeds it shows a picture of a Dobermann Pinscher, it's 4th on their dangerous dog list. Why is Nevs 13 year old Rottweiler more dangerous than my 2 year old Dobermann? Obviously the Dobermann is more dangerous? I know for certain that my Dobermann is more dangerous because the picture of the Dobermann on the sign is my dogs father - so clearly my dog is dangerous, plus it's got to be dangerous because I feed it on raw meat and bone - it stands to reason. BTW I only know that that's a pic of my dogs sire because the breeder took Tobin and the council in question to court for copyright infringement for displaying their picture without authority. This ill educated councillor knows zero on copyright legislation and even less about dogs.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... us-7933148

Here in France the breed with the worst record of bites is the German Shepherd.
https://stopauxmassacresanimaliers.fr/l ... -mordeurs/

The German Shepherd is not on the deuxieme categorie of dangerous dogs but the Rottweiler is, go figure... Only dog that I've been bitten by was a neighbours German Shepherd.

The only serious dog bite that I personally saw the results of was by a Jack Russell, it killed it's owners baby that was asleep in its cot.
My last dog was bitten twice by other dogs, once by a Border Collie and once by a Beauceron, I've never been chased by a Rottweiler whilst out cycling but have been chased 15-20 times by three different Baucerons and also by assorted other breeds. I once passed a Dobermann whilst out cycling, it was outside it's owners gate in the road - it saw me approaching and went inside and had a bark as I passed. But it's a Dobermann... What was it thinking?

Could it possibly be that the person responsible for drafting the French legislation has a similar understanding of Dogs to the Neath councillor?

Personally I'm all for an age limit on dog possession, especially large dogs. Mandatory training for any prospective dog owner of any dog around dog education and daily exercise would be a step in the right direction too.

So, imo (and the opinion of dog trainers and behaviourists worldwide) the answer to my original question is: All dogs can be dangerous, untrained and unexercised ones more so. Same goes for their owners.
Attachments
Public-Safety-Sign.jpg

Glynmo
France

Post by Glynmo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 pm

IMO, it's the nature and character of the owner that decides whether or not a dog is dangerous. No dog should be dangerous if it's trained properly and grows up in an affectionate environment. A friend who, at the time, owned a pub, had a Staffie, you know, one of those dogs that'll have your leg off as soon as look at you! The dog was constantly teased (in a good humoured way) in the bar, and never reacted aggressively, because of the way it had been trained.
The older I get, the faster I was.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Richard is correct ; although many breeds were specifically developed to be agressive; ( more accurately, bred to be fearless), it's down to owners and their behaviour and training. All dogs can be vicious. All dogs can be gentle. Most can be both. I have regularly worked with police and military dogs/ handlers; and seen dogs that could kill, easily, if required; yet be cuddly pooches off duty. And can attack, yet stop in an instant and freeze on command.
Are some dogs more dangerous? Only because they are bigger/ faster. Like which is more dangerous? A pistol or a machine gun? Both can kill; one is more effective, both are entirely safe if handled properly.

By training; it's not simply dog training; owners should be trained too; I am firmly of the belief that owners should be licensed; and undergo training. Despite the fact that I have had dogs most of my life, and " know what I am doing with them".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:03 pm

ALL dogs can be dangerous especially when they are more intelligent than their owner.

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Well aggression travels down the lead for the most part but as Jammy states there are definately dogs that have been bred for their less than social skills, like my bees some are calm others are right bstards to work with. Rotties are a little different they are a thinking dog and Lottie bless her will stand for a lot of sh1t from other dogs before she gives them the look, then a growl, then a full on f off you yappy bstard dog with no social skills.

Our Marie is great and the secretary for the Marie stated she wanted one for protection, she is always welcome in there regardless if she is wet or muddy. Mind you I did get nabbed in the other village as I had just popped her muzzle off before she hopped in the car and the flics went past and did a U turn and bugger me did they lam on about it. I just looked at them and shrugged my shoulders fortunately the other one saw sense and they took a hike.

But I do agree that ownership is about responsibility and the bigger the dog the greater that responsiblity becomes as they are powerful beasts. We were wary initially as she is a rescue dog with no history but she is fearless but not in a scary way. Her party trick is cartwheels no sh1t.
lottie-cartwheel.jpg

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Great pic Nev! You're so right about aggression travelling down the lead, same as all our energies and emotions do. I just calmly walked my dog past two berserk rats who were racing up and down their fence boundary in the village, 1st time my dangerous dog was off the lead, on the lead on the way back. On both occasions he just looked down his long nose at them.
He cutely squeaked, on command, at the secretary in the Mairies - I told her that she needed to be careful as Dobermanns are a vicious race...

Papasmurf makes a very valid point but in our case unfortunately my dog is considerably brighter than me.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm

It's a trite comment; but it's generally true;
" there are no bad dogs, only bad owners "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nev
Bangladesh

Post by nev » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:27 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm
It's a trite comment; but it's generally true;
" there are no bad dogs, only bad owners "

I am sure there is an human equivalent of that Barbara Woodhouse statement that goes like "there are no bad children only bad parents" :lol:

kitcarman
England

Post by kitcarman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:46 pm

icon_whiteflag Its the one that bites you for no reason, Mostly little ones, As they feel threatened, Just a bit like some people.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:21 am

Dunno about dergs, ours is lovely (if smelly) but CHICKENS are bloody aggressive swine and downright dangerous, specially if one happens to be a toe.

My wife came in yesterday in a state of shock, after our six chickaboodies had taken it into their heads that her toes looked mighty tasty....she was wearing (obvious, really) open toed shoes.

Ours seem to have a fair bit of velociraptor DNA. :evil: