Another " new" engine

Jamstealer
France

Another " new" engine

Post by Jamstealer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 pm

I have been following this development for awhile; the "LiquidPiston". Develops the Wankel principle. MIT and DARPA have been working on this; currently could be a use in small machinery ; then develop into drones etc, then generators and perhaps vehicles. Looks like it may solve some of the basic problems of the Wankel engine:
https://youtu.be/v5fxoEisKxo

More detail here;
http://news.mit.edu/2014/liquidpiston-s ... ngine-1205

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glynmo
France

Another

Post by Glynmo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:59 am

Interesting development. I have to agree with the comment about chainsaws, strimmers, hedge cutters etc leaving you feeling that your arm is about to drop off, a lighter, vibration-free engine would be so much of an improvement.
The older I get, the faster I was.

Jamstealer
France

Another " new" engine

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:36 am

I have seen a " 250cc equivalent " version of this running. But it was a early laboratory prototype/ research version. Even so, it looked promising. The reshaped combustion chambers are clever. Gives the rotary engine a " proper" compression ratio and solves the uneven burn at the extremities of the combustion space which was always an inefficiency of the Wankel. And there is a chance that it could solve the other Wankel issue with rotor seals, since the seals are now static.

Hal
Ireland

Another " new" engine

Post by Hal » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 pm

That would be the ideal engine for a new, pretty(er) Footforward 'bike.

It was considered for the SCL Voyager back in 1988, but though the Norton Rotary won MotoGP in 1989, the Police rotaries had such a rep for bad fuel consumption and could never pass environmental regs due to the almost 2-stroke levels of oil burning caused by the rotor tips seals needing a 2 stroke mix to keep them from seizing in their slots.

This rotary does not have the need for oil in the fuel, as the tips are static and can be oiled by channels in the rotor housing in the normal 4-stroke way.

I imagine DARPA have their eyes on scaled up diesel versions for purposes other than lighter static generators....

Jamstealer
France

Another " new" engine

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Hal wrote:
I imagine DARPA have their eyes on scaled up diesel versions for purposes other than lighter static generators....
We are looking at any options for small, efficient quiet engines to use in hybrid vehicles for the electricity generation; next generation battlefield vehicles will all be electric drive; for loads of tactical/ power reasons
It's also a possible power source for robots - current ones use quite noisy IC engines for power generation ; e.g. The big dog type robots being developed as " infantry assistants "
Like these ones from Boston Dynamics

https://youtu.be/Z3mCS6uzGnA

FrancisBarnett
France

Another " new" engine

Post by FrancisBarnett » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Yet again another wacko engine design surfaces to try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Jamstealer
France

Another " new" engine

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Yes; that non existent problem of having a reciprocating mass of metal changing direction several thousand times a second, several hundred moving components, as opposed to having one rotating component, which has not need to change direction - and therefore not waste potentially 20%(+) of its energy. And a potential power density of double that of a reciprocating engine .

Hal
Ireland

Another " new" engine

Post by Hal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:36 am

I agree with JS :o

Once you solve the 'rotor tip problem' which it seems this design has, and make the rotary design fuel efficient, which it has, it's simply an evolutionary leap forward in terms of internal combustion.

The Norton Rotary was a far better choice for the Voyager FF in 1989 but for these two problems.

It was half the weight or less than the horrible Reliant engine they used, which wasn't exactly cutting-edge technology, nor something you could brag about down the pub.

Also much smaller, and obviously far more powerful, a marketing dream come true.

But for the smokiness and dreadful fuel consumption.