Wish you had done something, but didnt?

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Sat May 27, 2017 12:33 pm

This idea has bounced over from a different thread, and was prompted by Varanoir's ambition to do a certain boating event in the future.

I'm sure, during our lives, we have all had a dream to do do an event, own a supercar (or a Reliant Robin!), date a supermodel, or climb Everest, but have never quite got round to it. Maybe never will now for all sorts of reasons such as lack of cash or bad health.

To start off I will list my top 3 un-realised objectives,

1. To climb the Inaccessible Pinnacle on Skye. The only Monroe where you definitely need ropes to safely climb/descend. I've done most of the Monroes over my days in Scotland, but never did the InPin. Did start it once, on my own with no ropes, but although I reckoned I could get up ok (maybe), I would definitely struggle to get down again ropeless. Health prevents me even getting to the base nowadays.
2. Own a Bond Bug. Yes, really. I wanted one from when they first came out, and went as far as buying a model kit and building it. About 6 years ago I went as far as bidding for, and winning, one in the depths of Cornwall. An unfinished project, nearly all there in bits in the garden, I eventually pulled out of the purchase due to the distance (bad health again), lack of a suitable trailer, and the certain knowledge I could never leave it standard and would want to put in some tasty Jap motor , and of course , it could never then get registered. Prices now are getting a bit silly, even for a project.
3. To tour the good 'ol USA on a Harley, taking in the Pomona Swap Meet, and of course, Sturgis. Virtually impossible/unaffordable to get medical insurance due to health problems, I'd totally given up on this one as I would never take the risk of going without the proper cover. Then, a few years ago I started going to the big Outcasts show in the Gironde, which is like a mini Sturgis. So the urge to go to Sturgis has now gone, and as for Pomona, well I no longer build custom cars or bikes, so no need any rare custom goodies.

Over to you guys now....................................

Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Sat May 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Mine are more prosaic:-
1. To finish renovating our french house which has been dragging on for 6 years now due to one thing or another.
2. To get a Triumph Bonneville T100, should be able to afford one after #1 is realised and my pension kicks in.
3. To be at Wembley watching Burnley win the EFL cup, something they've never achieved in their 135 year existence. More do-able than winning the Premier league or FA Cup.

ps. I did have a schoolboy thing about Brigitte Bardot but she has gone a bit off since then so I knocked her off my list.
UTC

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Sat May 27, 2017 2:02 pm

For me the schoolboy crushes included Raquel Welch and Audrey Hepburn.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Dragon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wales

Post by Dragon » Sat May 27, 2017 2:29 pm

I always fancied that tomboy Jodie foster when i was young, but that has been scratched off my list because she would fancy my wife before i got a look in, trust her to leave it so late before she came out,

And i have always wondered what would of happened to my career in the army if i had stayed in, .....i made Corporal after 6 years (dont panic mr Mannering) yes i was Corporal jones, all my mates stayed in and rose through the ranks from Sargent to ......one bloke who made Colonel, but having said that after i left my battalion went to the Falklands/ Bosnia/ Ireland/ Iraq/ and Afghanistan to name a few, so who knows if i would even be alive now, but i often wonder about it,

And my number 3 is......I always fancied swimming in every lake in the UK and ticking them off one at a time,.......this was when i was in my 20s and i would of had the time then, .........nowadays i would freeze to death in Loch ness or Nessy would eat me whole knowing my luck, .......so there it is, icon_thumbup
We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. we have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything ....................with nothing,

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm

1. I had a plan to buy a Dean 400 cat and go cruising for the rest of my life or as long as I could
2. Remained living and working in Germany. I'm beginning to dislike living here... Not as much as the UK though icon_suicide
3. Years ago, I sailed with a New Zealand lass. As a crew she had no fear on the trapeze no matter what the weather. She was a fit womanImage and wanted my body, but I resisted!

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Sat May 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Well I've been sat here thinking about this,,,,,
and I've come to the conclusion that I must be one lucky bastard.

Can't think of anything I wish I'd done that I didn't (Audrey Hepburn aside obviously, but that was never likely!).
One or two cars and bikes I should have kept, but nothing life changing.

Or maybe I've just got no imagination ?

icon_yo
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

Dieselspanner
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Dieselspanner » Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 pm

1, A bit like Dragon, I wonder what would have happened I I'd have stayed 'in', I too made Corporal, having seen Gary Cooper at it, I wanted to be Sergeant York.

2, Took up an offer to get financially involved in Kazakhstan.

3, Steamed my little Dutch barge from Poole to Le Havre instead of taking it (on a truck!) on the Truckline ferry to Cherbourg

Cheers Stef

ChrisD
France

Post by ChrisD » Sat May 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Jamba wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm
I sailed with a New Zealand lass. As a crew she had no fear on the trapeze no matter what the weather. She was a fit womanImage and wanted my body, but I resisted!
Fool!
UTC

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Post by Giscard » Sat May 27, 2017 11:04 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 10:39 pm
Jamba wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm
I sailed with a New Zealand lass. As a crew she had no fear on the trapeze no matter what the weather. She was a fit womanImage and wanted my body, but I resisted!
Fool!
Au contraire BlackAdder. Too many women think we are just sex objects!

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Sun May 28, 2017 7:48 am

Giscard wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 11:04 pm
Too many women think we are just sex objects!
I can live with that :mrgreen: