wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm

The reverse mechanism used the fact that a two stroke engine runs just as efficiently in reverse as forward and fitted a switch which stopped the engine and then restarted it in reverse. Engines fitted with electric starter, fan cooling and reverse gears are noted by the additions of S, F and R after the Mark coding e.g. 9E/3SFR is a 9E engine fitted with a 3 speed gear, a starter, fan cooling and reverse gear.
Thats how the later models worked. Early ones were a bit different:

"The cars were powered initially by a single-cylinder two-stroke Villiers engine of 122 cc (7 cu in). In December 1949 [14] this was upgraded to a 197 cc (12 cu in) unit. The engine was further upgraded in 1958, first to a single-cylinder 247 cc (15 cu in) and then to a 247 cc (15 cu in) twin-cylinder Villiers 4T. These air-cooled engines were developed principally as motorcycle units and therefore had no reverse gear. However, this was a minimal inconvenience, because the engine, gearbox and front wheel were mounted as a single unit and could be turned by the steering wheel up to 90 degrees either side of the straight-ahead position, enabling the car to turn within its own length.

A method of reversing the car was offered on later models via a reversible Dynastart unit. The Dynastart unit, which doubled as both starter motor and alternator on these models incorporated a built-in reversing solenoid switch. After stopping the engine and operating this switch the Dynastart, and consequently the engine, would rotate in the opposite direction.[15]"

Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

How old!?

Post by Jamstealer » Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm

As a kid we had a bantam trials bike on the farm, which had one of the Villiers 2 stroke engines; it had the "reversible " ignition as used in the old blue " invalid cars"
Was quite fun learning to ride it in reverse.
Likewise to start it in reverse, hand it over, ticking over, to someone unsuspecting, and tell them to "give it a big handful "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornishman
France

How old!?

Post by Cornishman » Tue May 09, 2017 5:42 pm

papasmurf wrote:
wizzard wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm
2cvandy wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm
Before I was in nappies my dad had a Royal Enfield V twin with a double adult (Busmar I think), and yes, the photos do look like a small bus.

When I came along, he "upgraded" to a 197cc Bond mini-car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Did the Bond go into reverse by turning engine around? My mate's dad had one like that. When he went away for the weekend we used to "borrow" his AJS, which may have been a 350cc. It was dropped more than once and he never noticed the difference!
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattl ... rc0596.htm
The reverse mechanism used the fact that a two stroke engine runs just as efficiently in reverse as forward and fitted a switch which stopped the engine and then restarted it in reverse. Engines fitted with electric starter, fan cooling and reverse gears are noted by the additions of S, F and R after the Mark coding e.g. 9E/3SFR is a 9E engine fitted with a 3 speed gear, a starter, fan cooling and reverse gear.
We had a cruising catamaran with two Dolphin two stroke engines. They ran backwards to go astern. It was always a worry when you need the engines to slow down or stop the boat when going alongside as you knew you had to stop the engines and restart them before you had any brakes.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

papasmurf
Great Britain

How old!?

Post by papasmurf » Tue May 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:42 pm

We had a cruising catamaran with two Dolphin two stroke engines. They ran backwards to go astern. It was always a worry when you need the engines to slow down or stop the boat when going alongside as you knew you had to stop the engines and restart them before you had any brakes.

I know someone who had the "Character building" experience when in the engine room of a large steam ship approaching a lock on the Panama Canal of the engine reversing valve operating wheel falling off.

Jamstealer
France

How old!?

Post by Jamstealer » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Cornishman wrote:
papasmurf wrote:
wizzard wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Did the Bond go into reverse by turning engine around? My mate's dad had one like that. When he went away for the weekend we used to "borrow" his AJS, which may have been a 350cc. It was dropped more than once and he never noticed the difference!
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattl ... rc0596.htm
Standard with most ( lots of)large ship Marine diesels: different when you have hybrid diesel/electric; when you (in effect) glitch a switch to reverse the electric motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvin
Great Britain

How old!?

Post by melvin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 pm

wizzard wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am
melvin wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 am
I was a late starter as well,first pillion on the back of a B31, no helmet no proper wet weather gear.
Then bought an Indian Brave 250, side valve I think and 45mph flat out.
That Indian would be worth a few quid now - I'm guessing you didnt keep it. :(
Yes like a lot of others on here,shoulda kept the MSS the Venom the Viper and the Vincent Comet ;((((((((((((

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Yeh, the Mk1 Lotus Cortina, the 1293S Mini, the 57 Chevy, Hartwell Imp, 64 Barracuda, 68 Barracuda convertible, and so on - all sold for peanuts. Strangely, the only bike from the early days which might be worth money was a Bultaco 6 days trial job.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................