How old!?

Glynmo
France

How old!?

Post by Glynmo » Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Seems to be a bit of a common thread running through this, er, thread. My mother was completely against me having a bike, mainly due to my old man coming off his when he was 'courting' her. He had the scar on his chin til the day he died. I was therefore another one who had to hide my first bike. Where? In the garage, no-one ever went in there! Until my dad did, about 6 months later, but the fact I'd had it 6 months without incident meant he supported me keeping it. Honda CB90 with a piston out of a CB160 (higher compression), a bigger carb and different exhaust system. It was faster than a Bantam 175, not that that was difficult, but I know because my then girlfriend's brother had one and he was not happy!

The older I get, the faster I was.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Tue May 09, 2017 8:59 am

Glynmo wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 pm
Seems to be a bit of a common thread running through this, er, thread. My mother was completely against me having a bike, mainly due to my old man coming off his when he was 'courting' her. He had the scar on his chin til the day he died.
My parents hated bikes (my father was a driving instructor for the Army during the war, including dispatch riders), and so did my wife. After coming down (again!) on an icy road sometime in the mid to late eighties, lying semi conscious on the road for a while beside the bike seeing through blurred vision the cars sliding towards me , then swerving around me without stopping, she banned me from bikes, saying I was being an irresponsible parent, husband , etc. A couple of years later I was in a bike garage looking to buy a big bike - the saleman knew me and said "your not allowed bikes" , laughing, and I laughed back and said "I am now , she's gone". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

How old!?

Post by 2cvandy » Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 am

icon_dance

my first wife said "the bike goes or I do"

I've not missed her,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 am

Mine said that about my 57 Chevy, which is why she left. icon_dance

I DO miss the Chevy though, sold many years later............................ :(

melvin
Great Britain

How old!?

Post by melvin » Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 am

I was a late starter as well,first pillion on the back of a B31, no helmet no proper wet weather gear.
Then bought an Indian Brave 250, side valve I think and 45mph flat out.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am

melvin wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 am
I was a late starter as well,first pillion on the back of a B31, no helmet no proper wet weather gear.
Then bought an Indian Brave 250, side valve I think and 45mph flat out.
That Indian would be worth a few quid now - I'm guessing you didnt keep it. :(

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

How old!?

Post by Jamba » Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am

wizzard wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am
That Indian would be worth a few quid now - I'm guessing you didnt keep it. :(
When I was still in nappies, we live in Ceylon and my Dad had a 1200 Indian Chief with a double adult sidecar. It looked like a small bus.
He passed his test there. That involved riding past the civic offices in Colombo, turning round and riding back. If you didn't fall off, you passed :D

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

How old!?

Post by 2cvandy » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Before I was in nappies my dad had a Royal Enfield V twin with a double adult (Busmar I think), and yes, the photos do look like a small bus.

When I came along, he "upgraded" to a 197cc Bond mini-car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm

2cvandy wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm
Before I was in nappies my dad had a Royal Enfield V twin with a double adult (Busmar I think), and yes, the photos do look like a small bus.

Did the Bond go into reverse by turning engine around? My mate's dad had one like that. When he went away for the weekend we used to "borrow" his AJS, which may have been a 350cc. It was dropped more than once and he never noticed the difference!

papasmurf
Great Britain

How old!?

Post by papasmurf » Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm

wizzard wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm
2cvandy wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Did the Bond go into reverse by turning engine around? My mate's dad had one like that. When he went away for the weekend we used to "borrow" his AJS, which may have been a 350cc. It was dropped more than once and he never noticed the difference!
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattl ... rc0596.htm
The reverse mechanism used the fact that a two stroke engine runs just as efficiently in reverse as forward and fitted a switch which stopped the engine and then restarted it in reverse. Engines fitted with electric starter, fan cooling and reverse gears are noted by the additions of S, F and R after the Mark coding e.g. 9E/3SFR is a 9E engine fitted with a 3 speed gear, a starter, fan cooling and reverse gear.