How old!?

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

How old!?

Post by Jamba » Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 am

Still trying to generate some interest/traffic icon_morning20coffee

How old were you for your first ride on a motorcycle?
Driver or pillion?
What bike and do you remember where.

Mine?
Aged 5 and three quarters :D on my Dads Velocette (500 MSS?) reg AVV 555 and it was from Cottesmore to Oakham and back.
Wearing his helmet
I feckin' loved it.

Glynmo
France

How old!?

Post by Glynmo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 am

I think I was about 7 or 8 when I rode pillion on my granddad's Velocette (not sure what it was now, it was an awful long time ago!). First time riding I was 14 on a BSA Lightning. The following week I was stopped by the Bill whilst riding a moped of some description, I was let off with a warning (a verbal clip round the ear'ole!). It wasn't my only encounter with the boys in blue involving petrol-driven 2 or 4 wheelers!
The older I get, the faster I was.

ChrisD
France

How old!?

Post by ChrisD » Mon May 08, 2017 10:35 am

I was a relative late starter at 17 and my first bike was the Honda Benly 125 twin, a mini Black Bomber.
Mine looked like this but was proper black.

UTC

Cornishman
France

How old!?

Post by Cornishman » Mon May 08, 2017 11:30 am

I can't remember my first pillion ride but I'm fairly sure that my first go at the sharp end was when I was test riding a BSA Bantam D5 that I wanted to buy when I was 12 or 13. It was a memorable experience as for my first attempt in the seller's short driveway the engine was running backwards and as I gingerly engaged the clutch it started moving backwards. I bought the bike then had to break the news to my parents as without their help there was no way I could have transported it the ten miles home. Luckily my dad thought that is was a good idea. I had the Bantam for two or three years and it did a lot of miles running around a local farmer's fields. It only ran backwards again once more during the time I owned it. Looking back I'm amazed the owners of the 'posh' houses alongside the field we used didn't complain.
The Bantam not only got me (even more) interested in bikes but rekindled my dad's love for them. Soon after he bought a Honda ST70 for using on the road and rebuilt a Greeves 24 Scottish Six Day trials bike for using off-road. That was the end of my Bantam riding, the Greeves was something else. Dad then got a Yamaha YDS7 which was quickly replaced by a recently introduced CB400 Four, a CX500 when they came out, a BMW R900RS, a Morini 500... He was never without a bike for the rest of his life and even bought a Peugeot 125 scooter when he had two knee replacements and wasn't allowed to ride a proper bike for a while. He went back to his Kawasaki GT550 as soon as the doctor said he could.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Glynmo
France

How old!?

Post by Glynmo » Mon May 08, 2017 11:59 am

Cornishman wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:30 am
Dad then got a Yamaha YDS7 which was quickly replaced by a recently introduced CB400 Four....
Funnily enough, I made the same progression, although I kept the Yam for quite a while, it was a quick bike (back in the day) and the one I did my first (unintentional) wheelie on. I bought it dirt cheap as the engine had seized causing the seller to fall off. Rebuilt the motor and replaced a couple of scraped parts, was like new again. Loved both bikes, wish I still had them.
The older I get, the faster I was.

Cornishman
France

How old!?

Post by Cornishman » Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm

The YDS7 was amazingly quick. It passed between various friends of mine for several years before breathing its last. One of its owners replaced it with a YR5 350 but that just didn't have the same fun factor.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

How old!?

Post by Giscard » Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I was 16 when my brother and I bought an old 600cc Panther with sidecar from Pride and Clarke in London. Because it had the sidecar you could take passengers on a provisional licence. A bit of a cow to start and had a habit of kicking back despite the valve lifter and decompression lever. We went everywhere on it and had great fun. In the picture my brother was clearly not happy about being on the pillion. Note the L plates.
Attachments
pantherandriders.JPG

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

How old!?

Post by wizzard » Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 pm

As a youngster I spent my summer holidays living with my grandparents out in the Scottish countryside, in an ancient cottage down a rough dirt lane. The next door cottage housed a mechanic, who rode an ancient Brit bike (no idea what it was) which he rode up the hill everyday to ride on to a distant village, then freewheeled back at night as it had broken down - he then spent the evening fixing it ready for work the next day. Both the rider and bike were covered in oil, constantly, and his mechanics overalls were so thick with oil and grease they were probably waterproof. My first pillion experience was on that bike, which nearly put me off bikes for life, and the next was on my mate's Lambretta when he was riding illegally in the grounds of a local stately home. To be cool, he took out his comb, started to comb his hair, which put us into a weave and then a very low speed drop. Soon after I bought a 125 Bantam (I was 15), but couldnt take it home as my father hated bikes. Sold that for a profit, to buy a 200cc James Captain for a tenner, but my old man made me take it back for a refund. A couple of years later I was on to a 175 Super Bantam, which started the bike obsession which has ever ended.

icon_moped
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

How old!?

Post by 2cvandy » Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 pm

My Dad was an insurance agent for the Salvation Army, collecting penny a week policies, and had a Suzuki step through 50 for his rounds.
1st pillion was on that at 5 years old, I spent the school holidays doing his rounds with him.
No helmet, short trousers, and the belt of his mac wrapped round us both so I couldn't fall off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The first bike I actually rode was a Honda C50 bought for £3.50 out of my paper round at 12 years old.
I went home and asked my mum if I could have a motorbike and she went apeshit, so I left it at my mate's house. It eventually ended up in the local canal, don't think mum knows about it to this day.

Then at 14 I had the Yamaha SS poster on my bedroom wall, prettier than Farah Fawcett anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,
Coming up to my 16th birthday, I'd been saving hard but mum & dad had a blazing row about whether or not I should be allowed a bike. In the end she forbade him to help me buy one. He slammed the door on his way out and came home an hour later with a 2 year old candy orange SS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A week before my 17th, I took him on the pillion to pick up a CB250G5, so he could ride it home for me.
He took the long way home and decided to keep it,,,,,,,,,,
I had to find another, but he carried on riding from then until he gave up his Guzzi 750 2 years ago at the age of 80.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

Magnon
France

How old!?

Post by Magnon » Mon May 08, 2017 9:12 pm

I had a Bantam 125 field bike when I was 15/16, used to drive it around the tennis court - sounds a bit flash but I can assure you it wasn 't. First road bike was a Velocette LE bought from the local postman for £5 but it didn't last long in my hands. After that I had a string of BSA C15s - the first one was the best being a SS80. After that I had an A10 (BSA 650cc) which I ran for years as my only transport and I still have it.