A different breed of men.

Post by papasmurf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:33 pm

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 pm

I know of a couple of WLA Harleys still going strong, and still covering impressive mileages. One guy bought his in his native Holland when he was still too young to ride, not long after the war, and still rides from Holland to the Limousin on it. icon_thumbup
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Varanoir
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Varanoir » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 am

Back in the late 1970's I had a high speed film processing and duplicating business based in Tanner St London SE1 just south of Tower Bridge. I employed 4 motorcycle courriers doing round the clock collections and deliveries of processed microfilm for the Banks and Finance houses. The company bikes were 400/4's ( Honda). One of my courriers was a small young chap called 'Tigger', couldn't have been more than 5ft tall, and he had a WW2 WLA he rode all the time, and used to park it up at the office before he went out to work. I seem to remember it was found in a closed down garage near Calais and it still had American forces detailing and registration. Incredible machine. He wouldn't let anyone touch it!
''It is better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.'' _ Herman Siu

JoeRocket

Post by JoeRocket » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am

It's a shame my Dad is no longer around. He was a despatch rider in WW11 and would have loved something like this. Alas I didn't know which bike(s) he rode.

After the War our form of family transport was a motorbike and side car. He and my Mum (pillion) rode bikes into their 60's and no doubt gave me and my two brothers the biking 'thing' from tracking bikes off road before we were able to legally ride at the age of 16.........and have done ever since. My Mum last rode on my bike as pillion over here in France when she was 80! (sorry to digress but it's a family story I'm rather attached to)

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 am

My Dad was an army driving instructor during WW2, including despatch riders, and developed a total phobia of bikes due to the number of people he had trained who were killed. It made life a bit awkward for me as a young lad when I had to hide my first bike at a mate's place, and got caught with the second and dragged back to the sellers house for a refund. Needless to say he quickly gave up, although he was totally unhappy that 2 out of his 3 sons were addicted to large fast bikes.
When I used to visit with my latest piece of two wheeled lunacy, his mates would crowd round to admire it, but he wouldnt come with ten feet of it.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

kitcarman
England

Post by kitcarman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 pm

My first two wheeled jobbie was an Corgi, A machine which was made for the Paras, To be dropped in canisters, Folded up.98cc villiars engine. Good fun, For very little cash. Then a BSA M20 For around the same in pounds. Five hundred cc. Another lot of fun, Easy to fix, Spares cheap from Russells in Battersea, A good start to two wheeled joy. icon_England One day after the day.

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 pm

If your "Corgi" folded up it was a Welbike which was the one that was used in the war - if it didn't it was a Corgi which was made after the war based on the Welbike.
We had a master at school who used to ride in to school on a Welbike, he was about 6' 6" tall and had to sort of fold himself up to ride it - used to cause quite a stir riding through town with his master's gown flapping behind and the clouds of exhaust smoke!
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.