Saw point....

Hal
Ireland

Saw point....

Post by Hal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:37 pm

I seem to have bad luck with chainsaws....one 'kept' by ex partner, replaced with a second Husquevarna which was then stolen from our barn by an extremely obnoxious Brit, who I unfortunately bumped into and who subsequently attached himself to our menage, 'dropping in' on a tediously regular basis.

He turned out to be a lying creep, totally lacking in any sense of honour, though he partly made up for it by later being found deceased..... (no connection).

After that, I found a new one, 52cc, 50cm blade, spare chain, mix flask, fluo orange carrying case, on the web for around 80€.

It arrived and I tested it....excellent saw, powerful, long reach, very nice.

The one thing that puzzled me was it had no priming bulb.....

Several weeks later, I couldn't make the thing start at all. It had a good spark, fuel, and that's all a saw needs, usually. But then again, most saws have priming bulbs....

So I removed the carb, stripped the top, and found the cone-headed float valve had stuck in it's seat. I freed it manually, laboriously put the carb together, and it worked fine.

Two weeks later, same story...I think I rebuilt the bloody carb three times before sending it back, only losing the postage.....

I bought another last summer, a marque I hadn't heard of, Alpina, found in Leroy Merlin for about 80 something euros.

I found it impossible to start, using the normal method, and as a last resort actually read the instructions. Strangely, it used a totally different start procedure!

That was a nice little saw....sadly, I managed to leave the sliding right side door on my van open on the trip back from the Moulin to here, and I haven't seen it since! The only bloody thing to fall out....

I'd thought about the 52cc saw, and concluded someone had built a load of them and they were being sold cheap as they have a design flaw...if they had a priming bulb, pushing it a few times should free the valve.

So I ordered another!

Got it yesterday and fitted a bulb.

Here's the saw as delivered....note no prime bulb.
3.jpg
First remove the air filter

Then the carb
2.jpg
Then bore a hole where the bulb will fit....I used a red-hot small file. It needs a cross imprint overlayed on the round hole.
Extend the pipes from the tank, plug the bulb into this and back to the carb. There's another pipe from the top of the carb to the crankcase, so case depression will suck the fuel into the carb when it's running.

Bulb ready to go...
DSC09923.jpg
and fitted.
DSC09927.jpg
DSC09928.jpg
Looks just like OE! :mrgreen:

I've no idea why it's repeated three pix below this, Nowt to do with me.... :?
Attachments
DSC09927.jpg
DSC09927.jpg
DSC09928.jpg

Hal
Ireland

Saw point....

Post by Hal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Before starting this I took the saw to a French friend who runs a repair business for such things, plus 'bikes, garden tractors and quads.

He sold me the proper bulb and the blue tubing.

When I tried to start it up, it didn't want to know!

I took it back to see what he thought, and he cursed.."Bloody hell, I didn't think! That carb is no good for a bulb, you need a different carb, with THREE tube inlets!"

So I left it with him, as he has the proper carb in stock.

They are very cheap, fortunately.

It should be fine when he's changed the carb, and a 58cm3 chainsaw with 50cm blade from Husky or Stihl will set you back over 500€ so I'm not complaining. All saws go wrong, and need some servicing, it's just that you can pay a silly margin for a name.

I've known Stihl saws which were very poorly designed, had faults which would make you want to bin them from new.
Huskies I've always found very good.

Varanoir
Donator
Donator
France

Saw point....

Post by Varanoir » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 am

How very odd! I've had 4 chainsaws in the last 7 years, three stihls and some contraption from Germany called an Oberst. None of them had priming bulbs, and none of them were ever a problem to start, except the Oberst, which was a heap of junk I sent back. The clutch mechanism collapsed in under three weeks, and the chain cover metal sleeves for the nuts came away from the casing. I sold my two big stihls ( 50cm) last year after I stopped doing firewood and kept the little MS 210 which I've had for 10 years, brilliant little machine. It starts on the third pull every time.
''It is better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.'' _ Herman Siu

johnb5177
Wales

Saw point....

Post by johnb5177 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:39 am

I've been using saws for a long time, on UK models of husky, stihl, jonsered etc, they have never found it necessary to fit these primer bulbs. Since moving here ...lo and behold primer bulbs on saws, strimmers, hedge cutters......my mate back in UK, who is an agent for husky doesn’t really see the point of them, it's almost a machine cultural difference......

A thought about fuel piping though, is that I have often had to replace fuel lines within a year of purchase from new. They harden and crack, pulling excess air into a sealed system, causing real starting/running problems. I now keep a couple of feet of high quality petrol piping of a few I/D's in my diddy box.
Quis custodiet, ipsos custodes.

Hal
Ireland

Saw point....

Post by Hal » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I think the problem is caused by something in the fuel, allowing the float valve to stick. Its just stuck enough to prevent the crankcase depression pulling the fuel through the valve, but not enough to stop thumb pressure on the bulb from pushing it through.

Jamstealer
France

Saw point....

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Fascinating. Mine is an indeterminable make bought ( probably Chinese) for about £35 in B&Q 10 years ago . I have done nothing to it except sharpen / replace chains. It has never been "serviced"; I have never even seen the spark plug, or cleaned the air filter.
It's been hammered. Starts first time. Always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hal
Ireland

Saw point....

Post by Hal » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm
Fascinating. Mine is an indeterminable make bought ( probably Chinese) for about £35 in B&Q 10 years ago . I have done nothing to it except sharpen / replace chains. It has never been "serviced"; I have never even seen the spark plug, or cleaned the air filter.
It's been hammered. Starts first time. Always.

Yeah, but does it have a primer button?

I stripped the carb on the first one at least three times. The only other possibility is they used a type of coating on the float valve head that was for some reason unhappy with the petrol, and was becoming 'sticky'.

I should in retrospect have tried to use the new one before converting it...

Jamstealer
France

Saw point....

Post by Jamstealer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:24 pm

It does . As does my long reach hedge thingy and my Stihl brush-cutter thing. Whether they have any effect on them starting or not, I have no idea .

Hal
Ireland

Saw point....

Post by Hal » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:40 pm

They certainly prevent the fuel inlet cutoff valve from sticking!

johnb5177
Wales

Saw point....

Post by johnb5177 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:21 pm

There is a tiny internal gauze filter in the body of the carb on the inlet side. This sometimes collects the crud that gets through even the tank filter.

Also, since being out here, I have had to have my carbs on nearly all machines ultrsound cleaned......never in the UK......what's in (or not) the fuel out here ??????
Quis custodiet, ipsos custodes.