What a beautiful day!

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 am

Perfection is mine!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Tomorrow, ze Monde. Heute die Welt, morgens das SONNENSYSTEM!

Future 'perfect days' will now be visible in 360° surround-vision!

I appear to have cracked the rear view problem.

Here's the final solution....
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
16.jpg
It's mounted through a rubber-mounted curved steel spreader sheet formed to the interior curve of the scuttle so can't be simply snapped off by some dim-witted brat, otherwise with a 10cm lever arm it would tear the bolt heads and washers out through the alu skin.

I do now understand why Caterham use a triangulated pylon though.....and have just briefed my fabricator buddy with the concept for the most elegant polished stainless-steel triangulated support I can imagine, with invisible attachment to the underside of the strut.

He wasn't best pleased as it will be a tad tricky to get right, but hey, it's only money, right?

I can always flog replicas if we make a jig....and a silicone mould of the strut makes replicating that child's play.

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Yesterday, in 3 lane traffic, some comedian on a 2017 Ducati 1200 Multistrada took it into his head to try and blow "Ze Beast" into the undergrowth. I was a bit wound-up after having been stuck in a monster 'bouchon' for so long I did a U turn and cut that part of the trip out, then had to crawl through the city to get to the East side, so like an idiot I rose to the challenge.

As the Caterham was able to keep with the Ducati I had to make a decision....too see if I could turn the tables on him, or.....then suddenly I realised what I was doing, onboard cameras, banalised Police cars, private speedcam bounty hunters et al...

So I didn't try to test the max V, but by this time the Ducatist had experienced a serious shock anyway, as I had stayed alongside his apparently flat out accelerating bike. He looked a bit sick....

The 2017 is an unrestricted 160bhp, for just over 200kg, so no slug. I'm so glad the car's on Irish plates.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hal on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richard36
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by richard36 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Had the exact same thoughts this evening on a 45K trip home after having collected some stuff in my car that I don't drive too often, a white car was keeping up. I kept my speed to around 110 in the 90's considering that a true 105'ish might be enough to get a PV but the fine wouldn't amount to much. I daresay the quantity of private contractors in camera cars has been vastly exaggerated but, it has had the desired effect - we're conscious of it.

papasmurf
Great Britain

What a beautiful day!

Post by papasmurf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:58 am

Hal you may be interested in this, (in German but the Caterham speaks for itself.)

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69pNk5MGYk[/BBvideo]

richard36
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by richard36 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am

I wonder if she still drives the ring taxi? Has anyone been in that with her? Her one hand on the wheel whilst sitting half sideways giving a commentary to the passengers with the M5 in full drift was quite something apparently!

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

I wonder how 'staged' that was? I thought the finish was suspiciously 'photo-finish', and being German, they let the 550bhp turbo Porsche win (just) over the 260bhp Catering van.

Sabine probably knows the 'ring better than any living human.

The CSR is the best chassis Caterham have made, it has to be said....proper fully independent rear end, cantilever front suspension with inboard shocks, and some work done on the so-called aerodynamics to help prevent the front getting floaty at high speeds.

Classic, the way he drove round the Porsche and outbraked it in the corners...

richard36
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by richard36 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm
I wonder how 'staged' that was? I thought the finish was suspiciously 'photo-finish', and being German, they let the 550bhp turbo Porsche win (just) over the 260bhp Catering van.

Very suspicious ;)

I'd just like to say I passed her on a bike driving the ring taxi.... it was in the parking area and she was manoeuvring!

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:55 pm

richard36 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:19 pm
Hal wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Very suspicious ;)

I'd just like to say I passed her on a bike driving the ring taxi.... it was in the parking area and she was manoeuvring!
:mrgreen: :lol: icon_clap

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:43 pm

My new Caterham R500 high output fuel pump arrived this morning.

Once this is fitted I'll have no mixture weakening off at high revs, as with the 120bhp rated pump on the car now.

The technician at Emerald who set it up on the dyno reckons that with the right pump it should produce "over 220 bhp" easily.

I'll probably have to take it back to the UK next year for an MoT, but I'm planning to go up to Watton, where Emerald are based, and get a set of the much nicer to use Jenvey throttle bodies fitted in place of the troublesome Titan Phantoms on it now.
This will need re-jigging on the dyno so we should then see its full potential.

While it was doing power runs on the dyno, John noticed the cooling fan wasn't cutting in, and it seems the rad mounted sender is dead.

Not that it seems to ever need the fan, even in heavy traffic with the ambiant over 30°C it never goes above 80°C, with the oil running slightly less. It certainly doesn't need an oil-cooler, which confirms what I had been told by Caterham experts when I bought the engine. Just as well, I used it as a cabin heater/oil cooler in the sidecar unit I built a few years ago.

Fix10.jpg
Fix9.jpg
Noseglass4.jpg

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:32 am

Just realised...I never posted pix of the fully finished Bullet mirror!

Here it is with the support strut. My buddy rebelled at the thought of my original design, which would have had two support arms, the second going to the forward of two bolt-holes used for the OE full windscreen.
They would have joined at the upper end. He said it'd be a real bastard to make accurately and finally I agreed that this single rod solution is also more 'Colin Chapman' anyway. Only he'd have certainly used aluminium.

I prefer to avoid needless polishing. You should see my Hardley....
86.jpg
88.jpg
89.jpg
New tyre time....
85.jpg
Just thought...motorcycle forum...put in a pic of a bike FFS!
There you go...the Buell-Sportster is on ever better form, with the 1230 S&S kit fitted and around 100bhp at the wheel....I did a ride-out with a friend who is a senior 'cadre' at the Prefecture, on his very recent Street Bobber, and he was shocked by the way the Sportster now goes, and didn't try to stay with it on interesting roads.

It's now extremely quick, with handling and suspension to match. The Kwacker inverted forks and Fournales rears work as if they were designed too be used together, you can ride over really challenging tarmac at high speed and it isn't bothered at all.

Most impressive.

My buddy is an ex motocross champ, no wimp on a bike, also a master of several esoteric Japanese, Korean, and even Chinese martial arts I'd never even heard of...we refer to him as Master Yoda. :mrgreen:
87.jpg