What a beautiful day!

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:59 am

I don't see any point in having a car which was designed with one thing in mind, and then not using it for that thing...though I'm sure Caterham have no objection to them being used as posing-aids.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by wizzard » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am

In my opinion, its much better to use a classic vehicle whenever possible, be it on the road or at the odd track day, rather than leaving it unused in a barn for umpteen years. Caterham do not sell cars purely for track use - the majority of them will see only road use, which is fine by me as the more of these fantastic cars on the road the better.
I personally would not wish to risk wrecking my classic, totally original, low mileage, fully french registered Caterham while playing at a track day. If I had the spare cash to buy another one, newer, much cheaper, and with a few road scars around the edges, I would take it to the track (on a trailer) and compete in proper competition events. But as I dont have the spare cash, that isnt going to happen. :cry:
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Cornishman
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by Cornishman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

wizzard wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am
In my opinion, its much better to use a classic vehicle whenever possible, be it on the road or at the odd track day, rather than leaving it unused in a barn for umpteen years.
I took my Ford on a 100km round trip on Wednesday, a great trip out on quiet roads in the spring sunshine. It's hardly a track car but I've actually booked onto an event that includes two laps of the Circuit Val de Vienne on June 3rd. I wonder if there is a record for the slowest lap?
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:06 pm

I've used my Caterhams in all sorts of competitive events, and my far rarer Davrian Mk1 in a French trophy series. I'd much rather use them than sit around thinking about what they are "worth", but different strokes, of course.

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

I took my Ford on a 100km round trip on Wednesday, a great trip out on quiet roads in the spring sunshine. It's hardly a track car but I've actually booked onto an event that includes two laps of the Circuit Val de Vienne on June 3rd. I wonder if there is a record for the slowest lap?
Best of luck at Val de Vienne.

I've done it on a CBR Honda but didn't quite manage it during the Maxi-Mille series. I somehow turned up so late I missed the practice, so expected to be allowed to race from the back of the grid, which would have been great fun, but they wouldn't let me go on at all!

I don't like the track, personally, too flat and boring....compared to Mas du Clos or Pau-Arnos, it's just dull. Too many long straights for small engined cars too.

What sort of Ford is it?

Cornishman
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by Cornishman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Hal wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:14 pm
Cornishman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 am

Best of luck at Val de Vienne.

I've done it on a CBR Honda but didn't quite manage it during the Maxi-Mille series. I somehow turned up so late I missed the practice, so expected to be allowed to race from the back of the grid, which would have been great fun, but they wouldn't let me go on at all!

I don't like the track, personally, too flat and boring....compared to Mas du Clos or Pau-Arnos, it's just dull. Too many long straights for small engined cars too.

What sort of Ford is it?
A 1931 Model A.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 pm

So you'll be going for the lap record then? :mrgreen:

I was thinking maybe Mustang, Shelby Cobra, or GT40.....

Cornishman
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by Cornishman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Hal wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:01 pm
So you'll be going for the lap record then? :mrgreen:

I was thinking maybe Mustang, Shelby Cobra, or GT40.....
I've never been interested in muscle cars. I wouldn't say no to an original GT40 though.

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:33 am

Heavy old beast though. Over 1200kg.

Strange they decided to use pig-iron to make it from....but the earlier attempts to build a chassis/tub using honeycomb alu panels didn't work too well, as Ken Miles' fatal accident proved.

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:22 pm

That cute bullet race mirror on the left side of the scuttle is bloody useless and annoying. It affords a handy view of the rear wing, I think the original position of the things must have been on a front wing, OR they were normally mounted only on the driver's side door, as there is no way to get the thing to show any useful rear view with it mounted on the far side of the car, it's simply not possible to angle it right.

I saw a beautiful mint Honda S800 this week in the collection of a French friend who has a Patrick Godet Egli-Vincent among a lot of Brit classic bikes, an E type, an XK120, a Swallow etc etc. and the first Grinnall Scorpion to be registered in France. and as I was leaving it occurred to me to check how the bullet mirror was mounted.

I noticed the base was not running linear with the car, it was tilted up at the back....

I then decided mine needs to be a lot further out from the scuttle, these mirrors are normally mounted on a sort of triangulated tube pylon, which I think is pig-ugly, so I decided to make something aerodynamic and as beautiful as possible.

Plasticene is the tool of choice here.

I 'sculpted' the thing, then skinned it with grp, then bodyfiller. Then after sanding, removed the Plasticene. Next step was to shape the ends, inner end is simple curvature but the outer is a bit tricky as it's a tight double curvature and I'm still messing with it.

The next stage is to fill the hollow mount with resin with free strand fibres. I was going to put the bolts in place and that way the heads would be trapped and held captive, but as it seems to be very tricky getting the double curvature right, I'm going to use the filling to make up some height on the lower edge, which will then need fine tuning, impossible with a couple of bolts sticking out.

I can simply drill holes once it's set and fit threaded inserts instead...

One thing I fortunately remembered to do at the Plasticene stage was to twist the mirror end of the mount to copy the orientation of the little Honda's non linear base position.

I started by inserting threaded rods into the Plasticene filler to trial fit the thing.
1a.jpg
Skinned it with CSM GRP....then tissue
2.jpg
till it was a rigid shell...
5.jpg
Then added filler and sanded it.
8.jpg
What could be simpler? I didn't bother making a mould off the Plasticene, it's pointless as I can't get it smooth enough, but once this is painted using the 4 shot technique you use for white pearl, I might take a good silicone mould, as any replicas will simply be poured, using my single strand GRP method....it's so much simpler. I probably wouldn't even need gelcoat in the mould, just spray on Hi-build filler-primer once it's out.
Last.jpg