What a beautiful day!

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 pm

It's great to just take some time off from the idiocy of Brexit, the dystopian fuckwittery of Linky, Trump, et al.

Today I found the ideal vehicle for escape from all this....possibly better than a 'bike, as I'll explain.

After 11 years spent mostly under a tarp in the barn, I finally got my Caterham SV Evo 220 running properly and ON THE ROAD! icon_Fete2 icon_Fete2
62.jpg
64.jpg
68.jpg
Bought in 2006, it's only been operational for a few months during that summer, having had some ecu problems (two ecus went haywire in a month) after which I was so disgusted I left it under the tarp. I'm sure the first was faulty when I bought the car, the second I accidentally shorted out while trying to boost the battery in a rain storm...

I then decided I'd upgrade it, so located a full-race engine, one of only 6 built by Janspeed, for PTP, in 2000...when they sold for £12,500 each. Known as the PTP Evo 220, they are a legendary unit, the summum of K series 1800 engine preparation.

Crank by Chambon of France, who make F1 cranks...Carillo rods, Omega forged pistons, Titan Phantom throttle bodies, Pace dry-sump, the list goes on.

I had to drag the thing to the UK recently so as to optimise the settings on the Emerald ecu on their dyno.

As I'd rebuilt the head, and set the cam timing using vernier pulleys, it was not without some trepidation that I watched The Beast being revved to 8000rpm, screaming like a banshee,('The Beast', not me) and hoping it'd stay together....it's not rare for a motor to scatter while undergoing a series of power runs.
8.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg
It did brilliantly, making monstrous torque, and 212bhp before the fuel pump ran out of steam, as it was the OE 120bhp pump...I'd forgotten to upgrade it.

The technician said " It should easily reach min 220bhp with the right pump, it was still rising when the pump was cutting the fueling!"

On the way back we had a rendezvous with someone in management at Caterhams Crawley branch...
3.jpg
Baby brother of "The Beast", an R500
Crawley14.jpg
Then back to Calais to pick up the three Bla-bla car girls...which livened up the trip South for me and co-driver Nicolai.
4.jpg
It's an insanely lively thing to drive, to say the least.

So, today I had to do various things in several places, and took the Seven.

It was fantastic. Spring, on the windy roads North of the Vienne, the magnolias just blooming, descending the side of the river valley I could smell the water, the sun on my skin, I thought 'This is like the bike but NO HELMET, so much better involvement with the elements..."

I have just a Brooklands aeroscreen, so while protected from wind blast enough to be able to wear a flat hat the right way round at high speed, I don't get flies and pebbles in the face.

What a fantastic machine.

What a remedy for "modern reality..."
Attachments
2.jpg
Last edited by Hal on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

DaveR
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by DaveR » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Lovely car Nick - perfect day to go for a blast.

I heard the first cuckoo today, so everything is good - and is there honey still for tea?

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 am

Ha!
Don't talk to me about Grantchester....I remember when it was all fields! :idea: :mrgreen:

That Rupert Brooke, ruined it he did, with his bloody po'try....never the same after he wrote that damned thing, grockles every summer, you can't MOVE for grockles.....bloody man...etc etc.

Put me right off scones, it did! :twisted:

melvin
Great Britain

What a beautiful day!

Post by melvin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:06 am

Grockles and Emmets,will be heading this way shortly.

guzzigui

What a beautiful day!

Post by guzzigui » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 am

Cracking car Hal, I can only imagine the performance.

I built one back in the late 80's not long after they moved over to the de Dion rear end. I put in the optional Cosworth LSD and used a Ford X Flow bored out to 1700 by Rallytune, high lift cam with twin Weber DCOE's and a full race exhaust. It made 136 at the rear wheels which was pretty good at the time and I remember that feeling when it was on the rollers - you can literally feel the stress the engine goes through almost as if it is a living thing. I was constantly searching for more power but back then the only option for a significant increase was the Ford BDA which was well out of my reach.

I like the little screen and cycle wings, I made the mistake of going clam shell wings and full screen which I always regretted. I remember seeing mums pulling their kids in from the edge of the pavement when I took it down a high street.

I'm envious :twisted:

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by wizzard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am

[quote=guzzigui post_id=13734 time=1490694707 user_id=383]
Cracking car Hal, I can only imagine the performance.

I built one back in the late 80's not long after they moved over to the de Dion rear end. I put in the optional Cosworth LSD and used a Ford X Flow bored out to 1700 by Rallytune, high lift cam with twin Weber DCOE's and a full race exhaust. It made 136 at the rear wheels which was pretty good at the time and I remember that feeling when it was on the rollers - you can literally feel the stress the engine goes through almost as if it is a living thing. I was constantly searching for more power but back then the only option for a significant increase was the Ford BDA which was well out of my reach.

I like the little screen and cycle wings, I made the mistake of going clam shell wings and full screen which I always regretted. I remember seeing mums pulling their kids in from the edge of the pavement when I took it down a high street.

I'm envious :twisted:

/quote]

Your one sounds a bit like mine Guzzi, a 1984 1700 Super Sprint, 135 bhp. Bought just over a year ago with around 11000 very carefully documented miles from new, I love it to bits, and it reminds me of the raw exciting cars I had in my youth (Hartwell Imp, Mk1 Lotus Cortina, Viva GT, Blydenstein Vauxhall VX 4/90FE, 1293 Cooper S with a 45 Weber sticking through the dash.............) Crazy cars, crazy times, and I reckon a lot more fun than the big power modern sports cars with traction control and 101 other electronic gadgets.
Since I bought I havent done much to it - added some titanium bits, new shocks and springs, and had original single seats (instead of the plank/bench it came with) upholstered in leather with green piping. Much more comfortable now, and with slightly softer settings on the shocks, suits these roads better.
IMGP2949.JPG
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

guzzigui

What a beautiful day!

Post by guzzigui » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Knock it off Wizard, you're making it bloody worse... :mrgreen:

Yes you're right now I think of it, it was the SS spec, I'd forgotten that. Great looking car Wizard mine looked like that except I went yellow GRP and polished the ally. I loved those Weber carbs. Also Points, I loved those too and checking valve clearances... It sounds sad to some but I find plugging in my OBD adaptor and checking stuff on my Subaru Legacy totally non-involving.

I had the single seats (cloth, could not afford the leather option :( ) and had a set of Willans 4 point harnesses made up, had to change them back to lap/sash each year for the MOT.

"Trunions" to both you and Wizard :D :D I dislike you both equally :D :D

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

What a beautiful day!

Post by wizzard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Polishing the ally body sounds a lot harder work than polishing paintwork ......

If I had still lived in the UK, I think I would have built one from the factory kit. Due to the silly French laws I will have to content myself with building the Tamiya 1/12 scale Cat 7, which I've been told is just like building the real thing, but in mnuature. Virtually impossible to find now (and 500 euros if you do) I was lucky to find mine in Japan last year at a great price.
I only ever did one kit car, a Dutton Sierra, but spent most of my adult life there working on classic brit cars, hod rods, and classic American machines. My car collection was sold some years before I came here (the divorce was expensive!), and the bikes were sold in the months leading up to moving. It broke my heart to sell my ex drag racing 1957 Chevy Belair, which I imported from Nebraska, and did a full resto /rod job on - a nut and bolt rebuild and a bare metal respray in Ferrari Testarossa red. A multi show winner, which I used for Scotland's first ever official drag race event, there were tears as that one drove away I can tell you. :cry:
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

guzzigui

What a beautiful day!

Post by guzzigui » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:06 pm

From what you describe I think you would of found it a breeze (dare I say boring) to build one. I brought home the chassis and all the bits with my father in an old Trany Luton, my father promptly says "are you sure you can build this", two weeks later spending each evening after work in the garage it was built. Having built several Tamiya RC cars it was exactly as you say like building a full size Tamiya. The best thing is everything is spotlessly clean unlike working on old cars. I also had an old 72 Lotus Elan which was horrible to work on and drove like a ... and before the Caterham I had a Westfield which was OK but not as good as the Cat.

I polished the ally whilst waiting for the engine to arrive, lots of Autosol and black hands. Painting is the better option as you need to keep on top of the ally, a trip out in winter does not bear thinking about.

The day I sold it was not sad for me, as a feckless young man I had moved on to jetski's and small power boats (all gone now) it is only now looking back that I wish I had kept it. Still, can't wind the clock back...

Hal
Ireland

What a beautiful day!

Post by Hal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm

I've just had something of a surprise.
I did a fuel consumption test on the SV when I got back from Brexitland (The Untied Kingdom of Brexitland) and the result was pretty much as expected, just a bit better than 21 mpg.
Just checked it again, after filling up a few days ago, zeroing the trip, then doing 113 miles and refilling, when it only took 11.6 litres to brim full!
That's 6.38 litres to the 100km, or 44.27 mpg!

Not too shabby for a full-race engine, though it's true I wasn't driving it very hard, the occasional fun overtake but nowhere near 8000rpm...
Now the question is, do I really want to swap it out for a 170bhp 1600 unit?
Last edited by Hal on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.