Fake News

JoeRocket

Fake News

Post by JoeRocket » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Why isn't fake news just termed as lies?

It seems acceptable to produce a false story without any recriminations.

I know Mr Trump has issues in his world but we do too.......

papasmurf
Great Britain

Fake News

Post by papasmurf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:15 am

The British gutter press has been getting away with fake news for a very long time.

Hal
Ireland

Fake News

Post by Hal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am

Anyone here remember John Profumo being kicked out of Parliament because "He Lied in front of The House"?

What, LIED in Parliament? Surely not!

It sounds like some far fetched tale from Greek mythology now, doesn't it?

I doubt there's any chance of Trump doing penance by spending the rest of his miserable life doing charitable work for the public, as Profumo has been since the 60s.....

Mind you, the way he's going, there won't BE any public to do anything for anyway.....

papasmurf
Great Britain

Fake News

Post by papasmurf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

papasmurf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:15 am
The British gutter press has been getting away with fake news for a very long time.
News coupled with paper is something I have considered to be an oxymoron for a very long time.
I suspect the UK gutter press editors have this picture on their desks:-

guzzigui

Fake News

Post by guzzigui » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm

JoeRocket wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:51 pm
Why isn't fake news just termed as lies?

It seems acceptable to produce a false story without any recriminations.

I know Mr Trump has issues in his world but we do too.......
I thought the same for quiet some time and then read an article entitled "lies for commission and lies by omission" which explored the way the media distort the truth not always using direct lies and that in fact lies by omission are far worse than by commission as the reader finds it harder to discern reality because key information is missing. It can clearly be seen by reading multiple mainstream news headlines, Google news vs BBC vs Guardian vs RT vs Fars News etc. 'news' is reported by all these outlets and by simply leaving out one important detail the event can be read completely differently. Good becomes bad and vise versa. The technique of creating a label, assigning a set of negative values to the label and then slapping any news event or voice with that label to discredit it; 'Conspiracy Theory' is the all time favorite either used directly of by subtle implication. It is intended to instantly shut down debate and very often does in the mind of the person who only consumes one 'news' outlet. To an extent I think 'Fake News' is the same except it can work both ways where the conventional media accuse the likes of Facebook etc. of spreading it but many, quiet rightly IMO see the MSM of doing the same because we now have access to multiple non MSM media outlets. My father in law laughs at anything he has not heard on the BBC and equally laughs with incredulity at any suggestion the BBC might be lying to him, only RT or FOX would do that, but thats a different issue ;)

JoeRocket

Fake News

Post by JoeRocket » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Chinese whispers rule then! :lol:

guzzigui

Fake News

Post by guzzigui » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am

Yes, with lots and lots of added malice if you like :lol: