The fabulous new 'Linky' electricity meters .....

Giscard
Donator
Donator
England

Post by Giscard » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 am

I have smart meters in the UK and can see my consumption for both gas and electric throughout the day. I no longer have to submit a monthly reading for gas and electric as the meter tells them my consumption on a regular basis (mine is set for every hour). An added bonus is that I do not end up with accounts in credit that I then have to claim back, which usually takes at least a week before it is in my account. We have a readout meter in the kitchen which shows the actual usage and the whole family now reacts to see what device is causing spikes in the consumption. Better still they even try to minimise the use. Well it's a start. I have just switched to a tariff which gives me free electric on a Saturday from 9.00 - 17.00 which is possible because the smart meter can tell my consumption over this period. So for me in the UK it works well. :)

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:26 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:14 am
Simple to my mind; if you don't want an electricity meter, fine; then you don't get electricity.
I have one. It works fine.

Jamstealer wrote:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am

Interesting.

I can relate to Jamstealer's liking for the apparent 'hands on' aspect associated with this type of metering, this is what the US and UK companies used to push the idea, all just fine as far as it goes.

However, it ignores the 'microwave environment' aspect entirely. Look at the history of the use of microwaves in Telecom. Huge hilltop towers were erected, in fact many towers weren't on proper hills, if the necessity for line of sight and a non hilly topography were in conflict.

It was all "give the people what they want at any cost", a fairly dubious argument normally meaning "get the infrastructure in place so we can start making loadsamoney"
I think there may possibly be military com aspects of some if not all hilltop Mw towers, perhaps JS can throw some light on this?

We just lost the sale of a beautiful 18th century manor, with one of the best views in Haute-Vienne, due to it's now having an Mw telecom tower 250m away.

When these things were installed nobody knew anything about the longterm effects of Mw on humans, but we know better now. Numerous peer reviewed studies have shown an inverse square relationship on rates of, in particular, cancer in proximity to towers...and it's now generally held that you are taking a serious risk by living inside a radius of 500m from one.

How long will it be before there are sufficient guinea-pigs (us), for some sensible research conclusions to be drawn on the health implications of having a "clever" box in the home which sends microwave bursts sufficiently powerful to be collected from (what) distance? (EDIT) At this point I was still under the impression the meter transmitted by microwave, which I've confusingly shortened to Mw, normally used for Medium wave as in radio frequency.. As Francis Barnett points out later, the Linky uses a system called CPL for 'Courant Porteur Ligne', which UK and USA call PLC, a more useful acronym for Power-Line Communication')

Personally, I will be less effected at my prospective home, as any meter I agree to have will be on an outside wall, well below the living quarters, but many meters are still located inside peoples houses.

Excuse me if I doubt the "look what you can do with it, even from your mobile" propaganda....it's still a "free country", for the moment.

We too have perfectly adequate meters already, so hardly need a Linky as we already have electricity, thanks, and have had since the late 19th century.....

So....does anyone here have any Smart meter experience to show lower electricity costs since having one installed? I've read plenty who have experienced exactly the inverse...

As for the known heightened health risks around Mw towers, I think the evidence is now clear enough to start pushing for forced purchase at the normal market rate of any houses within the 500m radius. Pointless to talk about retroactive personal compensation, but the things are casting an obvious blight on these otherwise very attractive properties (view wise).

Of course nobody thought about this at the time....
Last edited by Hal on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:15 am

Here's a legalist's argument against the propaganda being pushed by ENEDIS (ex ERDF), now no longer fully State owned, as it had been since 1946...when EDF was created.

Les arguments avancés par Enedis sont pointés du doigt par Me Dominique Le Chevanton-Coursier. "Si on regarde les textes communautaires, il y a une évolution qui doit être faite en matière d'économies d'énergie. Mais il n'est absolument pas indiqué que les compteurs Linky sont obligatoires contrairement à ce que dit Enedis. Il y a donc un libre choix du citoyen qui peut garder son compteur ou prendre un compteur intelligent autre que Linky. Enedis se met derrière les directives communautaires pour dire que ce compteur est obligatoire mais les situations de monopole sont interdites par le droit communautaire. En Californie, ces compteurs ont été retirés pour des problèmes de sécurité et de santé. En Europe, la Belgique et l'Allemagne sont contre ce type de compteurs" explique l'avocate de la commune de Cast.
Last edited by Hal on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:18 am

Jamstealer wrote:
Well if people want to stay in the last century.
Simple to my mind; if you don't want an electricity meter, fine; then you don't get electricity.
That's all right then, we already have electricity meters which work just as they were designed to do....and have the added advantage of not emitting toxic Mw radiation! icon_dance

guzzigui

Post by guzzigui » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 am

The non-heating effect is the aspect that worries me, look here

http://www.bioinitiative.org/report/wp- ... Charts.pdf

Since the second world war the heating effect has been well understood and talked about but the non-heating effect has always been ignored and yet numerous studies have been carried out!

I worked in mobile infrastructure sales and provision in my previous life, this issue has always been there but simply pushed under the carpet. A young graduate had worked on subjecting fruit flies to very low digital cellular signals and documenting the resulting deformities, in just a few generations physical deformations were observed along with obvious functional impairments. They used fruit flies because of the very short life cycle - I know we are not fruit flies but we are still living tissue. Personally I think we are building up a problem for the future.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 am

Giscard wrote:I have smart meters in the UK and can see my consumption for both gas and electric throughout the day. I no longer have to submit a monthly reading for gas and electric as the meter tells them my consumption on a regular basis (mine is set for every hour). An added bonus is that I do not end up with accounts in credit that I then have to claim back, which usually takes at least a week before it is in my account. We have a readout meter in the kitchen which shows the actual usage and the whole family now reacts to see what device is causing spikes in the consumption. Better still they even try to minimise the use. Well it's a start. I have just switched to a tariff which gives me free electric on a Saturday from 9.00 - 17.00 which is possible because the smart meter can tell my consumption over this period. So for me in the UK it works well. :)
All of the above when I had mine in UK.
Linky is the same. I am not sure if Linky can also be monitored remotely over t'internet; I would assume so; good when you are away.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 am

I recently emailed my MP to tell him a Smart meter gets fitted to my home over my dead body.

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

From their website -Enidis (that's what EDF are called at the moment) http://www.enedis.fr/linky-communicating-meter

End-consumers will:
>have easy access to information about their actual consumption, and be able to manage it better,
>receive bills based on their actual consumption.

Whoopee!! icon_thanks icon_clap icon_fran icon_thumbup :cheerleaderkid icon_Fete2

Excusez moi - But I can do all that now - I go to the meter box and press a few buttons.

We read the meter bi-monthly and enter the readings via their website and get a bill based on our actual consumption which we pay via their website.

"Manage it better" is just corporate bs as is the rest of the stuff on that webpage.
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am

I must say I've always deeply regretted my inability while on holiday in a tent up a mountain in Tibet or relaxing apres-ski in Finland, or even at Gstaad, to simply check how my electricity meter is getting along, in real time. I find I just can't concentrate on enjoying my well-earned break for worrying about my appliances otherwise...

How is the fridge doing, home alone?

Is the toaster being used? Has the bloody photocopier continued its illicit turning itself on for no apparent reason, often at 4am?

Is the dishwasher feeling lonely?

How's the Smart doorbell adding to my bill?

I've worried myself sick over not knowing these things, and having the real figures at my cellphonic fingertips for decades....now, we no longer have to worry!

As long as we are happy to be (unpaid) test subjects in this unannounced long term study of Microwave and 'dirty electricity' effects on human tissue......

Of course, the motives of Enedis are purely to do with maximising efficiency, and pure philanthropism.

[/sheep icon]There's plenty of information indicating these are not the benign technology the utilities try and make us believe...

Google quickly shows the breadth and depth of resistance to them in the US, UK and elsewhere...Germany is very anti, it seems.

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meter ... xplosions/
Last edited by Hal on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.