The fabulous new 'Linky' electricity meters .....

Hal
Ireland

Post by Hal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 pm

In fact, very much less than fabulous if you've been following the history of Smart metering.

We had a letter recently informing us that they will be installing these damned things within weeks, where we live

No information about whether we can refuse the kind offer to install them "free of charge" of course, you need to do a bit of research before you find that, yes, you CAN refuse, "but if you do it'll cost you 18 euros monthly, to pay for the meter reader"

That's the meter reader who might, at most, come twice a year...that's assuming you don't fill in the readings online....

In fact, there are huge numbers of people who are refusing, and numbers are growing exponentially.

Why? Well think about it. "Free meter installation"???

Get real....it's costing BILLIONS of euros to fit these things, and you can guess who is paying. WE ARE!

In the USA and the UK, there is a clear picture of hugely more expensive billing after the Smart or Linky meter is fitted.

Plus, a big hike in the microwave pollution IN your house.

The 'Linky' collects information from any 'Smart appliances' in the house, and sends microwave bursts to the centre, letting 'someone' know exactly what you use, when, and why....like a spy in the house.

In America, Smart meters on the outside of houses have apparently gone critical and burned houses down.

As a jurist friend of mine said today, "The current metering system works perfectly well, so why allow them to fit these things? The only beneficiary is the people owning the big power companies." IE The Usual Suspects.

We should, in her opinion, stop behaving like sheep.

Tomorrow we are contacting the campaigns to see exactly what is going on.....

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm

I am really pissed off that we won't get ours for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm

There's nothing smart in my house.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Jamba
Donator
Donator
France

Post by Jamba » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Jamstealer wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm
Why would you want one? To go with your store cards, browsing history and all the other shitty data they collect on you?

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Before this thread degenenerates into a slanging match can someone please define what is a "smart appliance" please?
And why would EDF or whatever they call themselves this week want to gain access to them, assuming that I've got them?
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Jamba wrote:
Jamstealer wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm
Why would you want one? To go with your store cards, browsing history and all the other shitty data they collect on you?

Ability to read consumption in real time: on my phone or iPad ;
to change various parameters of supply immediately; change payments in line with actual consumption on a monthly basis if I want.
In case of a fault, self-diagnose; and automated dépannage; several other advantages.
I quite like much of 21 century technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:59 pm

FrancisBarnett wrote:Before this thread degenenerates into a slanging match can someone please define what is a "smart appliance" please?
And why would EDF or whatever they call themselves this week want to gain access to them, assuming that I've got them?
"A smart device is an electronic device, generally connected to other devices or networks via different wireless protocols such as Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi, 3G, etc., that can operate to some extent interactively and autonomously."

EDF don't want access to your smart devices; they are giving you a "smart meter" which has numerous advantages over 20th century technology.
And from their point of view, they can manage the grid more effectively ( since at present, their ability to manage stops at the local transformer) with smart meters they can balance the grid much more,effectively in real time, the supply will be more stable, faults identified as far down as to individual houses. And faults can be localized much more quickly, for instance line losses due to storms can be identified remotely down to a few mètres of location.
It also means they can save money and time on having to deploy staff as meter readers constantly, and redeploy them to more effective tasks in the grid management.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:17 am

There is a revolt in Brittany about Linky meters several town mayors are refusing to let them be fitted in their areas.
(Plouguerneau is where my mobile home is sited. The inhabitants appear to be a lot of rebellious hooligans anyway with a very long history of telling authority which orifice to stick their proposals up.)

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 88787.html

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:48 am

Cornishman wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm
There's nothing smart in my house.

Jamstealer
France

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:14 am

Well if people want to stay in the last century.
Simple to my mind; if you don't want an electricity meter, fine; then you don't get electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk