The world has been Trumped!!

FrancisBarnett
France

Re: The world has been Trumped!!

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:12 am

"the folks supporting Trump Clinton are too stupid to know they are stupid, but worse than that, they have an inbuilt sense of superiority which means they believe they know that they are right, so no amount of rational discussion or reasoned debate will sway them"

Just change a word and it makes sense.

Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:18 am

These events seem to occur in threes.

We've had Brexit.

We've had the election in the USA.

The French presidential election is next year?........ :shock:
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:19 am

My brother is senior in council house provision in the UK- more and more he has to make provision, like joining two houses into one, for large families.

The average age for women having their first child is just that, an average, skewed by people in university education, having to repay student loans, and then having to work longer to save up for their first house before having children. Against that you have women leaving school with no education, little chance of finding a decent job, but get given a council flat if they have a child. Its often their only way of leaving home and setting up home for themselves - once into the system they find that its difficult to get out, so have more kids to ensure that the benefits continue and they have no need to work.

Sad but true, a result of the benefit led UK society.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:20 am

FrancisBarnett wrote: These events seem to occur in threes.

We've had Brexit.

We've had the election in the USA.

The French presidential election is next year?........ :shock:
We were discussing that this morning - could Marine LePen pull off a similar shock result, or has Sarkozy moved sufficiently to the right to steal her votes?
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Cornishman
France

Post by Cornishman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:29 am

wizzard wrote:Many years ago, probably decades, I read something which predicted the dumbing down of the UK, or maybe it referred to the Western world in general.
It suggested that the educated people would have less and less children in the future, whereas the people at the bottom end would go back to having large families. This would have the effect , over time, of giving more voting power to the people with less education, and I think the Brexit vote and the US election has just proven this theory.

And before anyone from/with a large family starts up, I'm only passing on something I read in the distant past. ;)
From the same dim and distant past I can recall a conversation with my American friend Tom, an American businessman working in Germany, who I met at a Volkshochschule evening class for immigrants. He was worried about the future of his country and quoted figures in a convincing way. He reckoned that within our lifetime the USA would become a Spanish speaking nation and pointed out that in some southern states there were already more first language Spanish speakers than American English speakers. Part two of his argument was based on family size given that the average white American family by then had fewer than the expected 2.4 children while the Hispanics had families of two to three times that size. I am now confused. If his predictions were true how do you explain the Trump vote? I have read that far more Spanish speaking voters voted for him than was predicted and that the big swing came from the white, undereducated workers who had seen their quality of life fall in comparison to both the well educated middle class and the poor and unemployed. I can understand that the latter might have seen Donald as the Great White Saviour but why did the voters with Hispanic roots act that way?
Another confusion this morning; nearly all the people I know who were staunch Brexit disciples are holding their hands up in horror at what has happened in the States. I'd presumed that they'd have been Trump babies as well.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 am

DaveR
France

Post by DaveR » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 am

papasmurf
Great Britain

Post by papasmurf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:52 am

DaveR wrote: Image
No image showing.

FrancisBarnett
France

Post by FrancisBarnett » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:59 am

honeyi'mhome.JPG

richard36
France

Post by richard36 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Cornishman wrote: lass and the poor and unemployed. I can understand that the latter might have seen Donald as the Great White Saviour but why did the voters with Hispanic roots act that way?
Once safely inside they are feeling the need to be pulling the drawbridge up perhaps?