FRENCH LICENCE

FrancisBarnett
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by FrancisBarnett » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 am

From le monde du camping car.

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/prati ... g-car.html

Rest assured, there is no specific permit for motorhomes. The rule is simple: as long as the camper has a GVWR of less than 3.5 tons and does not tow a trailer, the B license is sufficient. In other cases, it's more complicated.
In terms of the highway code, a motorhome is a car like any other. As long as its maximum mass (called Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, or GVWR) is less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes, Permit B is sufficient. The one you use to drive your car. Attention, when we speak of the total weight allowed in load, we do not speak about the real weight of your motorhome when you take the road, but indeed of the maximum mass written on the vehicle registration. One can imagine that a motorhome with a gross weight of 3.8 tonnes has an empty weight of 3.3 tonnes. You are not allowed to drive it with your license B when it is empty.

Driving a heavy truck camper
If the motorhome you wish to drive has a GVWR greater than 3.5 tonnes, then it is necessary to hold a heavyweight license. The C license, which is the standard heavy-duty license, or the C1 license, which allows you to drive a motorhome of up to 7.5 tons. A special case exists, however: drivers with their B license since before January 20, 1975 can drive a heavy-duty motorhome with no weight limit and no medical examination. Beware, the driving license for public transport does not allow to drive a motorhome truck.

With a trailer
If the PTAC of the trailer is 750kg or less, you can drive your motorhome with the license B. Beyond, it is necessary to have the license BE, specific to teams. There are certain exemptions, which do not apply to 3.5 tonne motorhomes. If you have a heavy vehicle license, you do not need the BE license.

Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

Womble
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Womble » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi no not age related same age as you 54 they just emailed and said if you want to keep categories c and d you must get a medical certificate! Don't know if that's correct but they won't issue me a licence unless I relinquished cats c and d or get a certificate to them ASAP.

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Womble wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 pm
Hi no not age related same age as you 54 they just emailed and said if you want to keep categories c and d you must get a medical certificate! Don't know if that's correct but they won't issue me a licence unless I relinquished cats c and d or get a certificate to them ASAP.
Strange,I thought the same as wizzard that it was a 60 age thing for the medical,will have to see if I get the same request.Did you use the new UK plastic photo id licence or the old paper one? I read in a bike magazine that ,and hopefully if am wrong wizzard will correct ,a motorbike permit acquired before a certain date,maybe before the 2 part test was not accepted by the French,probably wrong but you never know,I need a medical to race my dragbike over here according to some French forums but haven't had time yet so again don't quote me .Let us know of progress coeurdelion

Cornishman
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Cornishman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am

coeurdelion wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 pm
Womble wrote:
Strange,I thought the same as wizzard that it was a 60 age thing for the medical,will have to see if I get the same request.Did you use the new UK plastic photo id licence or the old paper one? I read in a bike magazine that ,and hopefully if am wrong wizzard will correct ,a motorbike permit acquired before a certain date,maybe before the 2 part test was not accepted by the French,probably wrong but you never know,I need a medical to race my dragbike over here according to some French forums but haven't had time yet so again don't quote me .Let us know of progress coeurdelion
Don’t confuse the need for medical to take part in sporting activities with the requirements for a driving licence. It’s the norm to need a medical certificate before taking part in events from doing a 5km fun run at your local fete to crewing on a boat taking part in the Tour de l’Ile de Ré race. I needed a medical certificate to set in the passenger seat of a rally car.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

Womble
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Womble » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 am

coeurdelion wrote:
Womble wrote:
Hi It was the plastic photo licence, they have directed me to the government web site which states:

Professional driving license: compulsory medical check
Verified June 12, 2018 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister
When you use your driving license for work, its issue or extension must be preceded by a favorable medical check. This check is carried out by a licensed physician who checks your physical, cognitive and sensory fitness to drive. The doctor may prescribe additional tests. The periodicity of the check depends on your age and the category of the permit.
The periodic medical check is for persons wishing to obtain or extend the period of validity of the following permits,
Permit Used for a 2 or 3 wheel passenger transport activity
Permit B used for the following activities: taxi, passenger car with driver (VTC), ambulance, school bus, public transport of persons
Permit C and C1 (heavyweight)
Permit D and D1 (public transit)
CE, C1E, DE and D1E license (some vehicles with trailer)

which is a bit confusing as I don't drive professional!! but they insist it's a medical or no licence?

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by wizzard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am

coeurdelion wrote:
Womble wrote:
I was told I only needed the medical at 60 if I wanted to keep the truck category - at the time I was around 58 I think. I havnt heard of anyone not getting their bike test accepted due to it being passed in the good old days when you rode around the block -the OH will be a test of this as she passed hers in these days. After I had my heart attack & quad bypass I had a notion to do a bit of drag racing - even had a GXSR looked out - so asked my dr if she would pass me as fit enough. She said yes, then asked what drag racing was, then said no!
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Here's the link with all the conditions regarding age/ Medicals. Click each category and it tells you the age creature menus and if you need a medical. For instance, a C licence, past a certain age, must be renewed every 5 years, then from an older age, every 2 years. In some cases, the medical friends on whether you are using the licence for professional purposes; ie you might have a C vehicle as a horse box. If it's private personal use only, the medical conditions might be different than if you drove C for your job. Click on each licence category, then click on " conditions a respecter"
https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... roits/N530

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm

wizzard wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am
coeurdelion wrote:
Womble wrote:
I was told I only needed the medical at 60 if I wanted to keep the truck category - at the time I was around 58 I think. I havnt heard of anyone not getting their bike test accepted due to it being passed in the good old days when you rode around the block -the OH will be a test of this as she passed hers in these days. After I had my heart attack & quad bypass I had a notion to do a bit of drag racing - even had a GXSR looked out - so asked my dr if she would pass me as fit enough. She said yes, then asked what drag racing was, then said no!
Should have told your doctor drag racing was a load of blokes in dresses and wigs running about ,could have kept the GSXR then. The licence thing and old test was a readers story in classic bike i think but there's two sides to every story.Brought my GSXR 1100 streetfighter over when we came in 2004 but when I told the insurance it was stage 3 dyno with 140 bhp to the back wheel they also said non,desole.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by wizzard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm
wizzard wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am
coeurdelion wrote:

Should have told your doctor drag racing was a load of blokes in dresses and wigs running about ,could have kept the GSXR then. The licence thing and old test was a readers story in classic bike i think but there's two sides to every story.Brought my GSXR 1100 streetfighter over when we came in 2004 but when I told the insurance it was stage 3 dyno with 140 bhp to the back wheel they also said non,desole.
The Harley dealer said I would never get my much modified Sporty French registered so I sold it before I moved over permanently.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

coeurdelion
France

FRENCH LICENCE

Post by coeurdelion » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am
coeurdelion wrote:
Womble wrote:
Don’t confuse the need for medical to take part in sporting activities with the requirements for a driving licence. It’s the norm to need a medical certificate before taking part in events from doing a 5km fun run at your local fete to crewing on a boat taking part in the Tour de l’Ile de Ré race. I needed a medical certificate to set in the passenger seat of a rally car.
Yes I understand that the medical is required for sports and not normal driving cornishman,sorry if my comment has cast any doubts on the original thread,just trying to point out that things differ here than back over the pond. icon_fran