French insurance

Excluding Registering / Importing which has its own section.
Nicky53
France

French insurance

Post by Nicky53 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Husband and I are in the process of re registering both our bikes here in France. We now need to get both insured, currently with Carol Nash in the UK. We both have decent no claims, and currently pay less than £150 each per annum, fully comp including the full European breakdown and repatriation. We've just been to see our local Allianze where we have our car insured, and I've been quoted €592,10 for my Tiger 800 2014 and husband €600 + for a BWM 1200. (both fully comp)OUCH. :o
Is this what we should be expecting or does anyone else have any suggestions where we might look for a more competitive quote ?
icon_thanks

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

French insurance

Post by wizzard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm

My 1600 Harley is insured fully comp, with breakdown, for less than 150 euros per year. Thats with AXA. I do miss Carol Nash for the insurance they do for custom bikes. Also try Aviva (first) a they are quite competitive, then AXA will price match with a bit of persu icon_fran ation.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

ShovelHead
Great Britain

French insurance

Post by ShovelHead » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:23 pm

my 1980 Shovelhead is insured with A X A fully comp for about the same as wizards try them i was with aviva with the bike and car
they whant a no claims letter as my bike was insuered with carrol nash in the UK they would only gave me 2 years
best of luck

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

French insurance

Post by 2cvandy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Yep, AXA for me too,
although it's worth shopping around as 2 years ago MACIF were cheaper,
Try here for a few quotes ;- https://www.assurland.com/aides/assuran ... d-com.html
There shouldn't be any problem using your UK NCB so if any refuse to accept it just move on,,,,,,,,,,,
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

SimonW
Donator
Donator
France

French insurance

Post by SimonW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 am

600 each? :shock:
Move on! ... I'm sure you can halve that if you shop around.

Jamstealer
France

French insurance

Post by Jamstealer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am

€190 ( or something like that, can’t remember exactly) toutes risques, full EU (and beyond) breakdown/ recovery. Tiger 800.
Generali. Full NCD from the start - didn’t even ask for proof of UK NCD ; I just gave them a copy of the previous year’s UK insurance renewal letter.

Nicky53
France

French insurance

Post by Nicky53 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Did you just insure your bikes with these companies, or did you insure car/house etc? I've spoken to some of these agents who suck in their breath and say oooh if you insure everything with us we'll give you a competitive price. B**cks.
Axa quoted €390 for husband's BMW 1200 GS
Thanks Jamstealer, we'll give Generali a try out as well as 2CVandy's recommendation as well.
Thanks to all for your help - it's much appreciated icon_yo We'll keep you posted as to the outcomes

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

French insurance

Post by 2cvandy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:53 pm

I've got 2 bikes with AXA, they were cheapest quote for the Harley and offered a 30% discount for a 2nd bike so the Enfield is with them too.
Nowt else insured with them though.
My other 2 bikes are with Retro Assurance as they were old enough to add to a classic policy with my 2CV.
At the moment, Car is with Pacifica, house and health top up are with MMA

I just shop around every couple of years for the best deal.
I never liked the idea of putting everything with one company, it just seemed it'd be harder to change.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

French insurance

Post by wizzard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Nicky53 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm
Did you just insure your bikes with these companies, or did you insure car/house etc? I've spoken to some of these agents who suck in their breath and say oooh if you insure everything with us we'll give you a competitive price. B**cks.
Axa quoted €390 for husband's BMW 1200 GS
Thanks Jamstealer, we'll give Generali a try out as well as 2CVandy's recommendation as well.
Thanks to all for your help - it's much appreciated icon_yo We'll keep you posted as to the outcomes
My first time with AXA was to insure the Harley. They gave me a great price, so I moved a car to them, then other bikes and later the house. We paid too much for the girlfriend's VW the first year she got it, then got a better quote from Aviva the 2nd year - took that to AXA who then beat their price. Saved about 20%. Unfortunately my local AXA took on a new member of staff a couple of years ago who is clearly on high percentage commission deal, so she tries it on with with silly premiums. I now know when she is not in the office and insure anything new then.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Jamstealer
France

French insurance

Post by Jamstealer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 pm

We have everything; bikes, cars, house, health top up with the same people: initially because they were all good deals, now because no one can substantially do better; and also because they have been ultra efficient.