Buying bikes (or not) on Facebook

Bike Chat only please
wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 am

Last night a classic bike appeared on Facebook for sale, at a fair price. I was the first person to reply , saying I would come and pick it up immediately, but the seller said he was going out for a meal, so I said I would come this morning. When I messaged him this morning to confirm, he said a buyer was coming before me , and now its been sold. Maddening, as I'm pretty sure it was someone I knew who bought the bike. Is there no honour between bikers nowadays?

Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Andrew
New Zealand

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm

It's annoying, bloody annoying, and I feel for you. Decent people want to be treated decently. I know I do, and I think I'm a decent person (but probably wrong!)

Sadly, it's difficult to know who is decent and whilst said Facebook seller might or might not be decent, they equally don't know if potential buyers are. So one can understand why they'll take the cash from the first person that fronts up with it. We don't know but maybe they've been messed about before by 'tyre kickers'. Doesn't make it right nor any easier to take though. I had a moto casse bloke do it to me, and it pissed me off big time, so I get where you're coming from entirely.

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
France

Post by wizzard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Andrew wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm
It's annoying, bloody annoying, and I feel for you. Decent people want to be treated decently. I know I do, and I think I'm a decent person (but probably wrong!)

Sadly, it's difficult to know who is decent and whilst said Facebook seller might or might not be decent, they equally don't know if potential buyers are. So one can understand why they'll take the cash from the first person that fronts up with it. We don't know but maybe they've been messed about before by 'tyre kickers'. Doesn't make it right nor any easier to take though. I had a moto casse bloke do it to me, and it pissed me off big time, so I get where you're coming from entirely.
Cheers Andrew. The seller knew I was travelling to meet biker mates at a bar last night, not far from his house, about 45 minutes away from me. He wasnt going to be in last night, but I reckon I sounded committed, and when he said he was going to be out I made alternative arrangements for this morning. Someone else (and I'm sure I know who it is, someone who I would have thought was a friend) must have persuaded the seller to let him see the bike before me. A failure of FB etiquette, and a failure of respect among bikers.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

coeurdelion
France

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm

That's not nice wizzard,to me it's first come first served but unfortunately some people as you say aren't bothered about any etiquette ,friendship or bikers code of any description.
My last house was up for sale over 12 months and a English couple visited it 4 times in 5 months and offered a lot less than the asking price,the final visit they never even put offer in,3 days after their visit a French man came and said yes I'll have it for what you are asking ,great we accepted,7 days later the English people got in touch and offered the asking price,when we said it was sold they offered us €5000 more but we explained it doesn't work like that in france and even if it did I wouldnt have sold it to them out of principle ,they had the money but thought we were desperate and tried dangling a carrot ,serves them right for messing me about.
Think the days of sorry mate after you are long gone,it's now basically f you Jack I'm alright!!!!!! But it's still alive and kicking in my house and that's all that matters coeurdelion

2cvandy
Donator
Donator
France

Post by 2cvandy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm

I've had similar with a couple of things for sale on fb, I think it's quite common tbh.
Somebody advertisers summat for sale, you contact them and agree a time to go see them, then one of their friends gets in touch with "I didn't know you were selling that", and you're out of the picture.
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,, icon_moped

elv
Great Britain

Post by elv » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Maddening, isn't it. Also; you don't know how much you want something until it's no longer available. I'm 'inbetween bikes', shall we say, at the moment so was looking for something for the interim. Saw a tidy Yammy XTC 750 Super Tenere on fb. Not perfect but genuine for the money. Asked some questions, got some replies, more photos and when I went to reply, it was marked as sold. What to do...
Yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on...