First and latest bikes

Bike Chat only please
User avatar
yorkie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 am
Location: Nantes Area 44230
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Great Britain

First and latest bikes

Post by yorkie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 am

Coeurdelion, don't think in 1955 when the picture was taken MOTs for motorbikes/sidecar were yet thought of. The picture was taken in the back garden in a street in Hull where we lived.

This is my father with my brother's BSA Royal Star. He had a succession of bikes. Although younger than me his wife banned him from riding as he kept falling off his last bike. He lost control of this BSA with me on the bike on a run in Norfolk. He jumped off and left me on the back to end up in a ditch.
BSA Royal Star.jpg


The family motorbike was replace by this vehicle, also pre MOT days No back seat for his three sons, just a screwed down family settee. Most people thought it had a motorbike engine and hence no reverse (it did). No heating either which made winter voyages a challenge. All five of us once went across the Pennines from Hull to Manchester in it. Pre M62 days.
Reliant_Prince_Regent_van_300pix.jpg
Reliant_Prince_Regent_van_300pix.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 466 times



User avatar
Cornishman
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 am
Location: Civray 86
Been thanked: 99 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by Cornishman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am

My first bike was a 1954 BSA Bantam D5, 150cc that I bought for £10 that was used by me and my friends to ride around the local farmer’s (my friend Nick’s dad) fields for several years. Great reliability. Photos do exist but they will be in 35mm slides in my sister’s house. I will have to find them next time I’m in Cornwall. There is also some cine film of me riding it on out lawn. All I can remember about that is the trail of 2 stroke smoke following behind. My first road bike was a Honda CD175 that I really liked but I passed my test on my dad’s Honda ST70. He gave me the 175 he also owned when he bought a 400 Four.
CCA6A680-5AD8-4533-B03F-7057901B0D2C.png
I found a picture of the CD175. It’s the red bike with the white top-box to the left of the photo. This was after I’d sold it, I’m just to the left of centre sitting on my CB250G5. This was on a trip to Dartmoor during the hot summer of 1976.
3E376544-93C1-4DF6-A208-A5F8EC0014EC.png
Another photo from the same trip. I’m in front of the red 400 Four in the white helmet, my CB250 is on the right. We were lucky, my friend, John Barker, was a merchant seaman who earned good money and owned a 35mm camera hence the photos.
F9D55A02-4ACA-4478-ACF3-FB8952993FB8.jpeg
F9D55A02-4ACA-4478-ACF3-FB8952993FB8.jpeg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 462 times
My current bike, another Honda, an ST1300 Pan European.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

coeurdelion
Member
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Mont Saint Michel
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 24 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 pm

yorkie wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 am
Coeurdelion, don't think in 1955 when the picture was taken MOTs for motorbikes/sidecar were yet thought of. The picture was taken in the back garden in a street in Hull where we lived.

This is my father with my brother's BSA Royal Star. He had a succession of bikes. Although younger than me his wife banned him from riding as he kept falling off his last bike. He lost control of this BSA with me on the bike on a run in Norfolk. He jumped off and left me on the back to end up in a ditch.
BSA Royal Star.jpg



The family motorbike was replace by this vehicle, also pre MOT days No back seat for his three sons, just a screwed down family settee. Most people thought it had a motorbike engine and hence no reverse (it did). No heating either which made winter voyages a challenge. All five of us once went across the Pennines from Hull to Manchester in it. Pre M62 days.

Reliant_Prince_Regent_van_300pix.jpg
Wow great pictures yorkie,amazing how the thought of health and safety never entered our parents heads but we are still here unscathed.My dad had the same trouble as yours,3 kids and no fear seat,luckily it was a old Ford van that he used for work,still remember me and my sister's rolling round in the back with the old paraffin filled road works lamps,don't ever recall him jumping out after loosing control but do remember falling out of my grandads triumph Herald on a bend,sat on my mum's knee whilst she had a fag,still got the burn on my knee !!!!!!! coeurdelion

coeurdelion
Member
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Mont Saint Michel
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 24 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:45 pm

Cornishman wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am
My first bike was a 1954 BSA Bantam D5, 150cc that I bought for £10 that was used by me and my friends to ride around the local farmer’s (my friend Nick’s dad) fields for several years. Great reliability. Photos do exist but they will be in 35mm slides in my sister’s house. I will have to find them next time I’m in Cornwall. There is also some cine film of me riding it on out lawn. All I can remember about that is the trail of 2 stroke smoke following behind. My first road bike was a Honda CD175 that I really liked but I passed my test on my dad’s Honda ST70. He gave me the 175 he also owned when he bought a 400 Four.

CCA6A680-5AD8-4533-B03F-7057901B0D2C.png

I found a picture of the CD175. It’s the red bike with the white top-box to the left of the photo. This was after I’d sold it, I’m just to the left of centre sitting on my CB250G5. This was on a trip to Dartmoor during the hot summer of 1976.

3E376544-93C1-4DF6-A208-A5F8EC0014EC.png

Another photo from the same trip. I’m in front of the red 400 Four in the white helmet, my CB250 is on the right. We were lucky, my friend, John Barker, was a merchant seaman who earned good money and owned a 35mm camera hence the photos.

F9D55A02-4ACA-4478-ACF3-FB8952993FB8.jpeg

My current bike, another Honda, an ST1300 Pan European.
More great photos cornishman,must have been nice that your dad shared your passion of motorbikes,unfortunately my dad wasn't too keen.Certainly look like a fine bunch of bikers and a good selection of classics,bet you like most of us wish we had hidden them in the garage for 40yrs!!!!!! Do you still keep in contact with the lads?coeurdelion

User avatar
Cornishman
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 am
Location: Civray 86
Been thanked: 99 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by Cornishman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm

My dad shared many of his passions with me, bikes, fast cars, sailing and European travel being four of them. However my parents were very reluctant to let me loose on two wheels on the road. I bought my Bantam but had to tell my parents about it eventually as it needed collecting and delivering home and soon after my dad did up a Greeves 24TES Six Day Triaks bike that I could use as well but you might have noticed that my first bike was not a FS1E like many of my friends had, I was banned. When I was seventeen they relented.
I am still in touch with a surprising number of the lads in the Dartmoor photos thanks to the delights of Facebook but in at least one case half a lifetime of friendship has been shattered by our being at opposite ends of the Brexit spectrum. I have had to point out to the individual in question that all his anti immigrant rants are personal attacks on my chosen lifestyle because I too am that immigrant. Many of those in the photographs are still biking. I have had to laugh a couple of times when one of them, Lloyd, who in those days rode the red CB200 and our own Wizard have commented on the same FB posts as they have similar tastes, they both own and maintain several bikes including a Harley and older, smaller Japanese bikes and even have the same sort of cats.
Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards. Seren Kierkegaard.

User avatar
wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: South Haute Vienne
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 103 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by wizzard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:47 am

Cornishman wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm
My dad shared many of his passions with me, bikes, fast cars, sailing and European travel being four of them. However my parents were very reluctant to let me loose on two wheels on the road. I bought my Bantam but had to tell my parents about it eventually as it needed collecting and delivering home and soon after my dad did up a Greeves 24TES Six Day Triaks bike that I could use as well but you might have noticed that my first bike was not a FS1E like many of my friends had, I was banned. When I was seventeen they relented.
I am still in touch with a surprising number of the lads in the Dartmoor photos thanks to the delights of Facebook but in at least one case half a lifetime of friendship has been shattered by our being at opposite ends of the Brexit spectrum. I have had to point out to the individual in question that all his anti immigrant rants are personal attacks on my chosen lifestyle because I too am that immigrant. Many of those in the photographs are still biking. I have had to laugh a couple of times when one of them, Lloyd, who in those days rode the red CB200 and our own Wizard have commented on the same FB posts as they have similar tastes, they both own and maintain several bikes including a Harley and older, smaller Japanese bikes and even have the same sort of cats.
My father was a driving instructor during the war - tanks , trucks, bikes - and he saw so many people who he'd trained on bikes being. He became paranoid about bikes, and when I took my latest 2 wheel purchase when visiting their home, he wouldnt even walk near it, while his friends would be all over it. I once bought a James Captain at 16, he found out and basically dragged me and the bike back to my mates place to get my tenner back.
Its sad when long time friends are lost due to Brexit. One of my oldest and best friends in Scotland has totally cut all communications as he didnt like my pro Remain posts on FB. No discussion, no debate, just cut all ties.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

User avatar
ChrisD
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:27 am
Location: Here 87330 and there ..
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 98 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by ChrisD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:14 pm

wizzard wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:47 am
My father was a driving instructor during the war - tanks , trucks, bikes - and he saw so many people who he'd trained on bikes being. He became paranoid about bikes,
Missing word Wizz, hurt or killed I presume?
As to your mate if he couldn't agree to disagree then he wasn't a mate anyway. Just my thought.
UTC

User avatar
wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: South Haute Vienne
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 103 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by wizzard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:20 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:14 pm
wizzard wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:47 am
My father was a driving instructor during the war - tanks , trucks, bikes - and he saw so many people who he'd trained on bikes being. He became paranoid about bikes,
Missing word Wizz, hurt or killed I presume?
As to your mate if he couldn't agree to disagree then he wasn't a mate anyway. Just my thought.
Well spotted Chris - killed or maimed was the intended wording.
As for my mate, its sad - mates for more than 30 years, biker, singer, actor, and all round interesting bloke. After I posted this, I sent him a last email to try and sort things out, although I dont expect a reponse.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

coeurdelion
Member
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Mont Saint Michel
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 24 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by coeurdelion » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Cornishman it's terrible that you have lost your friendship over the dreaded B word,I have decided to only put bike related things on forums from now on as there's too many people with different thoughts on it,all depends on your past experiences,mine and the wifes weren't very nice so I tend to get very defensive and I never know who is what and the correct terminology so for me it's better to just keep quiet.Never understood how people with a common passion for motorcycles can get so aggressive towards each other but luckily this is a very friendly site ,I put a comment on another forum a while ago about protective clothing after seeing a young lady on a sports bike in vest,shorts and flip flops ,lots of positive responses but a few nasty name callers hiding behind their keyboards and user names that went quiet when I invited them to my house for a chat over a beer round my bbq.😄Hope you manage to patch this fallout up.My dad didn't share my passion for motorcycles,his mate was killed on one so understandable, however he loved the heavy metal music i was into at the time,Black Sabbath blasting out of the old Vauxhall chevette on the way to work,happy days .coeurdelion

coeurdelion
Member
Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Mont Saint Michel
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 24 times
France

First and latest bikes

Post by coeurdelion » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:04 pm

Wizzard you bought a James captain for a tenner,imagine the price now,wish I'd kept my LC 350,GSXR1100,DT250MX,Sierra XR4i,Mk1Astra GTE turbo technics and a few others but bet there's a few members on here who's one past vehicle is worth more than all those put together,think that's my next post.coeurdelion

Post Reply