Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Bike Chat only please
coeurdelion
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Mont Saint Michel
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 3 times
France

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by coeurdelion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 am

GuzziGraham wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 pm
1968 MGC GT, BR green full length webasto sun roof, wire wheels. Paid £975 for it in 1977 sold it for £1250 a few months later thinking I was doing well incon_doh

XRO 300M 1974 BMW 2002tii. Bright orange, navy blue velvet cord trim and green tinted winows. Very 1970’s - paid £1750 for it in 1978 sold it a year later for £1500 to go towards a larger house.

1959 BSA Bantam 175 Paid £7 in 1969 off a mate at work. He wanted £10 for it but it had a broken gear pedal return spring. Spring was about 2 shillings but you had to take the engine out and split the crankcase to get to it. Repaired it and got £18 for it in part x for a 1967 BSA C 25 Baracuda

UPK413X Laverda Mirage brought in 1988 for £2000 had a top end re build and re- spray sold it to Slaters in 1992 for £2900. That one I should have kept, thought I was selling it too cheep at the time icon_damn
A few bad decisions there as selling too cheap goes but think that the one regarding the BMW was the best way to go,Orange,blue and green,!!!!! Must have looked like huggy bears from starsky and hutch pimp mobile but in the day will have been cool coeurdelion



User avatar
GuzziGraham
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am
Location: Sarthe & South Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 4 times
England

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by GuzziGraham » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 am

Not long after moving the 2002 on I went very Dell Boy with a Gold Capri 3000 Ghia. Chocolate brown trim with brown shag pile carpets. Think I sold it for about a grand at the time. Duck la orange Rodder’s. icon_dance

coeurdelion
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Mont Saint Michel
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 3 times
France

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by coeurdelion » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 pm

GuzziGraham wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 am
Not long after moving the 2002 on I went very Dell Boy with a Gold Capri 3000 Ghia. Chocolate brown trim with brown shag pile carpets. Think I sold it for about a grand at the time. Duck la orange Rodder’s. icon_dance
That got me worried,thought you were going down the resin rocket route !!!!!but saying that I managed to tour Scotland in one many years ago,bit chilly as the heater was just pipes leading from the engine bay so had that petrol head smell at the end of the day,couldn't risk lighting a fag when driving though.coeurdelion

User avatar
GuzziGraham
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am
Location: Sarthe & South Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 4 times
England

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by GuzziGraham » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 am

The closest I got to anything plastic was a TVR S2 when I had the tangerine dream. Not too impressed with the build quality and even though it was the 2.9 cosworth version, didn’t go much better than the BM.
Also tried a “proper”, cobra icon_thumbup - that thing did go, gobbled fuel, spat fire and frightened children. Totally in a different price league even in the 70’s

User avatar
FrancisBarnett
Member
Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 17 times
France

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by FrancisBarnett » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am
My first biggish bike was a Triumph Tiger 90 (350 Speed Twin) which I sold for £20 in 1971 after it failed it's MOT with a dodgy swingarm. I see they are now selling at around £6k
Why the hell would anybody pay £6K for one of those?
Brexit is like watching your library being burnt down by people who never learned to read.

User avatar
wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2470
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: South Haute Vienne
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Scotland

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by wizzard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 pm

FrancisBarnett wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 pm
ChrisD wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am
My first biggish bike was a Triumph Tiger 90 (350 Speed Twin) which I sold for £20 in 1971 after it failed it's MOT with a dodgy swingarm. I see they are now selling at around £6k
Why the hell would anybody pay £6K for one of those?
Have you seen what BSA Bantams are getting?

I did a quick check and think I've found my old bike (Bantam).

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1006710
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

User avatar
GuzziGraham
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am
Location: Sarthe & South Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 4 times
England

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by GuzziGraham » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:45 am

wizzard wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 pm
FrancisBarnett wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 pm
ChrisD wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am
My first biggish bike was a Triumph Tiger 90 (350 Speed Twin) which I sold for £20 in 1971 after it failed it's MOT with a dodgy swingarm. I see they are now selling at around £6k
Why the hell would anybody pay £6K for one of those?
Have you seen what BSA Bantams are getting?

I did a quick check and think I've found my old bike (Bantam).

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1006710
And you think Bantam have gone up - this is what I sold I in 1977 for £1250 icon_wet

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1061436

User avatar
wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2470
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: South Haute Vienne
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Scotland

Bike or vehicle you owned that cost a fortune now

Post by wizzard » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:40 am

GuzziGraham wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:45 am
wizzard wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:40 pm
FrancisBarnett wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 pm


Why the hell would anybody pay £6K for one of those?
Have you seen what BSA Bantams are getting?

I did a quick check and think I've found my old bike (Bantam).

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1006710
And you think Bantam have gone up - this is what I sold I in 1977 for £1250 icon_wet

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1061436
Crazy money for an MG. Someone in this area was welling a MGB for 3000 euros recently - unfinished project with a lot of new parts. It did have a Rover v8 in it. I was tempted to go and see it but I dont think it was a V8 original so would be a sod to register.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

Post Reply