optimate

Bike Chat only please
coeurdelion
France

optimate

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi ,thinking of getting a optimate type battery maintanance trickle charger but being a tight yorkshireman and needing 3 (as you can't link them together) was wondering if any members have purchased a cheaper version and are they any good,seen a few on flea bay but unsure,if not I would have to buy one and alternate a week on and 2weeks off which sort of defeats the purpose of them really Thanks in advance coeurdelion

ChrisD
France

optimate

Post by ChrisD » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Get one optimate and 2 cheap trickle chargers then if you do have a battery prob you can use the optimate to try and recover it. For trickle charging they're all much the same.
UTC

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

optimate

Post by wizzard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I've used Optimate 4 for many years, and in the winter I move it from bike to bike to ensure that they stay charged. My Harley is still on its original battery 10 + from new - unheard of for a Harley battery. It also "saved" dead batteries other chargers have given up on. Last year I bought a classic Honda in the UK, it was very slow to turnover on the button but started on the kick. When I checked the battery it was dry as a bone (I filled it with water and the Optimate saved it. The Honda came with a charger lead for a different make of charger which I happened to have inherited with another bike, and I'd been using that charger to keep it topped up. When I mentioned it to the previous owner he said that he used the same charger and had lost 2 batteries over the winter - boiled dry!
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................

papasmurf
Great Britain

optimate

Post by papasmurf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Hi ,thinking of getting a optimate type battery maintanance trickle charger but being a tight yorkshireman and needing 3 (as you can't link them together) was wondering if any members have purchased a cheaper version and are they any good,seen a few on flea bay but unsure,if not I would have to buy one and alternate a week on and 2weeks off which sort of defeats the purpose of them really Thanks in advance coeurdelion
The BIG mistake people make with Optimate charger is leaving them permanently on.
I have two solo bikes, two sidecar outfits an one optimate. (I use three types of connection to the batteries. On the CX500 I use crocodile clips as the battery terminals are easily accessible.
The Royal Oilfield and the Suzuki VS800 both have permanent female connectors on the batteries.
The BMW has an Din 2 (?) accessory plug hole anyway so that just need the Optimate plus to suit.

Leaving optimates connected permanently can bite you on the arse. (It only did it to me once.)
I start all the bikes at least once a fortnight unless I have taken them out. I also make ure the clutches are free, go up and down the gearbox and check and check all the lights. Then I use the optimate to charge them.
That way I find a fubared battery at home instead of out on the road when a bike wont start

papasmurf
Great Britain

optimate

Post by papasmurf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 pm

PS check the battery acid levels regularly. (I only have to check two out of four batteries, the other two cost me a mortgage each they are military very long life gel types.)

coeurdelion
France

optimate

Post by coeurdelion » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice,think I will go down the optimate route and just swap every few weeks,the batteries will be new so can sit on the bench charged/charging up until needed,not a major job to fit.Papasmurf ,didn't realise you weren't meant to leave them on all the time that's what I was going to do,can't beat a bit of knowledge.Thanks all again coeurdelion icon_thanks

ChrisD
France

optimate

Post by ChrisD » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 pm

coeurdelion wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm
Thanks for all the advice,think I will go down the optimate route and just swap every few weeks,the batteries will be new so can sit on the bench charged/charging up until needed,not a major job to fit.Papasmurf ,didn't realise you weren't meant to leave them on all the time that's what I was going to do,can't beat a bit of knowledge.Thanks all again coeurdelion icon_thanks
If you remove the battery from the vehicule it holds its charge much longer. I've done this with leisure batteries, it's the way to go.
UTC

Jamstealer
France

optimate

Post by Jamstealer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:45 am

I bought a Lidl one years ago. Works perfectly.

papasmurf
Great Britain

optimate

Post by papasmurf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am

coeurdelion wrote:
What is states in the "destructions" about leaving them permanently connected is contracdicted by "real life," experience.
The mechanic who services my bikes also services a lot of bikes for sailors from the local navey base.
They get posted on a tour of duty leaving the bike permanently attached to the optimate, they get back expecting the bike to start but the battery is fubarred.
(Hard lessons havre been learned.)

wizzard
Site Admin
Site Admin
Scotland

optimate

Post by wizzard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:15 am

papasmurf wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am
coeurdelion wrote:
What is states in the "destructions" about leaving them permanently connected is contracdicted by "real life," experience.
The mechanic who services my bikes also services a lot of bikes for sailors from the local navey base.
They get posted on a tour of duty leaving the bike permanently attached to the optimate, they get back expecting the bike to start but the battery is fubarred.
(Hard lessons havre been learned.)
I used to spend 3 months of the year in Portugal in an old camper, leaving the bikes with no charger, including the Harley with its alarm flashing away. When I came home, each bike was put on the Optimate 4 and no problems, even the Harley which still has its original 10 year old battery.
Any bike with three cylinders has one too many.....................